argh~i hate playing WC3 for Mac

I have the exact same problem and it SO ANNOYING!!!!!!! I have an 800MHZ 17inch iMac with 768MB of RAM and it still runs horribly, even on low settings!!!!!!

I really hope somebody can help me, I play Warcraft often and when it cant run well even on a super computer, than it is very disappointing.

I have also discovered that the problem may be the system bus. the iMac only comes with 100MHZ, thats also why window resizing is a nightmare.

The other problem could be the RAM on the video cards that come with them (the GEFORCE 4 MX!!!!!!). If someone knows how to upgrade on the new iMac, please email me at: zanneth@cox.net

Originally posted by Zanneth
I have the exact same problem and it SO ANNOYING!!!!!!! I have an 800MHZ 17inch iMac with 768MB of RAM and it still runs horribly, even on low settings!!!!!!

I really hope somebody can help me, I play Warcraft often and when it cant run well even on a super computer, than it is very disappointing.

I have also discovered that the problem may be the system bus. the iMac only comes with 100MHZ, thats also why window resizing is a nightmare.

The other problem could be the RAM on the video cards that come with them (the GEFORCE 4 MX!!!!!!). If someone knows how to upgrade on the new iMac, please email me at: zanneth@cox.net

Well I wouldn't consider an iMac a "super computer" perse but we all have different perceptions on things. Unless you're a hardware genius there's also no way to remove that video card from your iMac. That's why towers are generally better choices for gaming on a mac.

I have a (blue?) imac that came out mabye about a few months after the generic turquoise ones(you know, the ones where Apple stupidly labeled it "blueberry"). I updated to mac os x 10.1, and I'm not even CONSIDERING buying jaguar, thats just apple after your money. Anyways, i have:
Mac OS X 10.1.5
Built-In Memory: 320 MB (256 + 64)
Video Memory 8 MB //Note, right here, 1/2 the reqs for wc3
Backside L2 cache: 512k // i have no idea what this is... tell me!
Processor: PowerPC G3
Machine 350 MHz

This is the "ancient piece of crap" you people call the old macs these days.
Mac OS X running WC3:
WC3 works fine in the beginning of games, however the graphics do start to get a tad choppy after a while(due to increased units, people have built bases)

Mac OS 9 running WC3:
WC3 works god-like on this, I think it's because although the "memory sharing" is all with good intentions on mac os X, we need raw power to run this baby, and it runs without a glitch, unless i'm playing a ridiculous map that no one can play. I tried playing Aeon of strife, it worked fine, although i thought it was a tad...erm...corny.

So now whenever i play WC3 (which I don't anymore, i regret wasting all that money on it), I just reboot in OS 9.

P.S.:
Long Live Marathon, the best first person shooter ever, on ANY platform.

Originally posted by i am yujin
~~rant~~

I have been playing WC3 on my iMac 700 MHZ w/ OS 10.2.4 and I seriously cannot stand it anymore..

First off, it's always so freaking slow on my comp. I have the almost all the video settings on low and it still struggles in 1v1 games. I suppose 256 RAM will help but not a lot. I really want to play maps like Aeon of Strife but my computer can't handle it. sad.gif

Also, my computers FREEZES...INTERMITTENTLY About every 1 in 3 games, my computer will just freeze. I have to press the power button, which makes it go to sleep, then I have to unsleep it quickly so I don't get disconnected. On custom games, I get disconnected but on ladder games I don't (thank god). This is REALLY annoying being that I'm in like 30 minutes of a DOTA game, and my computer just freezes and I get disconnected. No, this is not because of my cable modem.
I thought OS X would be really stable..but it's not. Constant freezes with no chance of force-quit of quitting happens when I'm just browsing the net or just chatting on AIM.

Seriously, I hate Macs (for playing games). I have lived with them for almost all my life and can't stand it. Unfortunately, my parents are bitches and won't let me buy my own computer.

-Download (or find from someone) and install Mac OS X 10.2.6 Combo Update (and not that plain 10.2.6 update)...

-Install at least 128 MB more RAM...

-Repair disk (if needed), permissions and prebind your system

-Download Horse Menu from www.versiontracker.com/macosx/ and use it to give higher priority to your running games or if you know how and/or aren't scared do it via the Terminal

-Install ASAP the newest patches/updates for your games

-Run the games (if possible) under Mac OS 9 (NOT Classic)

-As for the modem problem try to change your modem from V92 to V90 or vise versa... If the problem repeats install ISDN or DSL line... When a modem disconnects it usually is because of PSTN limitations or modem hardware failure which I think is not the case

-Apologize to your parents for calling them Bitches :p ;)

:D

:)

Let us know what gives... :cool:

Yes, I did all those except the 128 RAM.

I ran it under OS 9 and it was GODLY. BUt for some reason, it froze and i had to press the power button to restart and then came the question mark start up. That worried me so I'm not sure if I should do it again.

And Horse Menu was discontinued.
http://www.nimatoad.com/HorseMenu/

Originally posted by i am yujin
Yes, I did all those except the 128 RAM.

I ran it under OS 9 and it was GODLY. BUt for some reason, it froze and i had to press the power button to restart and then came the question mark start up. That worried me so I'm not sure if I should do it again.

And Horse Menu was discontinued.
http://www.nimatoad.com/HorseMenu/

...email Horse Menu to you? :rolleyes:

As for the question mark if it came up for a brief second most probably you have nothing to worry about, BUT... If it insisted on staying there flashing 100% your Mac has problems be it in hardware or "software" (=you need better hard disk tools to repair those problems).

Still, I think you should take your Mac to an authorised Apple Store! It isn't normal for a Mac to crash when doing ANYTHING in the times of OS X.2.6... Heck once in a month MAYBE just MAYBE... :rolleyes: But always?!?!? NO WAY... Take it there ASAP :p :D ;)

And more RAM is a MUST espesially for WC3 which needs you to have, if I'm not mistaken 150MB of RAM and not Virtual Memory isn't a safe solution :rolleyes:

:)

Back