Article: Windows is insecure by design

He is right, users do have to share blame...I mean, honestly, who's STUPID enough to open e-mail atachments of a reply to a mail they never wrote? Just seems too gullible to me...

But yeah, MS failed badly at simple security steps.

Many people. Besides, those could be viewed as legitimate if the recipient sent something similar recently. Of course, if it came from someone else, then it should arouse suspicion.

Most virii don't do anything except propagate, right? I mean, sure, they cause a lot more Internet traffic than normal, but they don't shut down the computer like the MSBlaster worm.

If you're properly infected with Blaster you won't even know it. If you notice, it's because the RPC (remote procedure call) service bombs that causes you to restart.

Another good indication that you're infected by blaster is when your computer refuses to disconnect when using a dialup.

It's a rather buggy virus, I'm surprised it made it as far as it did.

Remember, a virus is transmitted via email; Blaster is a worm. Remember also, it was pieced together from old code, which is really bad for Microsoft's image.

What is it supposed to do, like besides trip the RPC and send traffic to MS's server?

it was supposed to DOS the m$ update site on August 18th, from all the computers it was on AFAIK

they didn't succeed tho :D

Originally posted by Racer D
it was supposed to DOS the m$ update site on August 18th, from all the computers it was on AFAIK

they didn't succeed tho :D

The point of a DoS attack is to take down the web address being attacked, in this case windowsupdate.com.

That address is gone as a result of the worm, sure looks like a success to me.

Well, it doesn't seem altogether there, either. At least not on my computer.

EDIT: Almost forgot: Ack, too many racers!

:D

The address was taken down during the attack by Microsoft, the point of a DoS attack is to have the address down during the attack. Microsoft did exactly what the designer of the worm wanted. Success.

Care to make bets on the 18th of July? The worm is set to attack on the 18th of every month from now on.

Originally posted by arden
EDIT: Almost forgot: Ack, too many racers!

:D

You know what they say about imitation... ;)

Though I thought there were board rules against people creating names that could be mistaken for others. I'll have to ask Ed about that one.

Oh well. :rolleyes:

sorry if my nick disturbs anyone, but I've been using this nick everywhere on net for like 5 years or so :(

It's a variant of the worm. It resets windows users' clocks back to July 17 every few days. :D

Honestly, I wouldn't be have surprised if M$ unleashed the whole thing themselves (itself?). We'll see, if there's suddenly a new Windows X-tra Security verson or something of its ilk out soon for only $299.

Would you be worried if your OS automatically downloaded updates whenever they came out and you connected, even if you didn't necessarily want it to? I can see 2 problems with this: Microsoft (since they're trying to put this into Windows) could release a "patch" that would give them much more control over your system, and you would be powerless to stop them, or someone could hack their upgrade center and put a "patch" on that would cause general havoc with your OS and data.

And Bill Gates is pushing for this instead of fixing the holes in Windows that are already there.

Originally posted by RacerX
You know what they say about imitation... ;)

Though I thought there were board rules against people creating names that could be mistaken for others. I'll have to ask Ed about that one.

Oh well. :rolleyes:
I was going to create an account named RacerY and use the attached avatar, but I didn't want to get in trouble... :D

Attachments

• racer_y.gif
    racer_y.gif
    716 bytes · Views: 16
Originally posted by MDLarson
I was going to create an account named RacerY and use the attached avatar, but I didn't want to get in trouble... :D

Y would you want to do that?

:rolleyes:

At least it makes for a descent avatar though. Racer D would look a little funny I imagine. :confused:

RacerX, rotate your avatar 90° to the clockwise, and you'll have your D.

Back