AsanteFAST install

sharrison

Registered
I just obtained the OS X beta version of the driver for Asante's 590 series NIC card. The read me file instructs me to do:

1 – Download the driver folder : AsanteEthernet.kext
2 – Drag the folder "AsanteEthernet.kext" and drop in to the Extensions
folder (System : Library : Extensions : AsanteEthernet.kext)
3 - Reboot the system.
4 - Login as root and setup the network with 590 card.

I have not been able to gain write access to modify the System:Library:Extensions folder. Is access to this folder possible, or do I have to copy the file into my root user directory folder? Unfortunately, the Mac OS X help application has a category on how to do this, but it requires an internet connection to download a HTML document. What sucks is I have to use ethernet to connect to the internet in the first place. Since the OS doesn't recognize the NIC card, I am stuck in a catch-22. Please help… anyone?

[Edited by sharrison on 11-07-2000 at 10:54 AM]

Just investigating this problem myself...

To edit it in the GUI, use the "System Preferences - Network" panel, and remember to click the "Click the lock to make changes" icon in the lower left corner of the screen. You'll need to put in the administrator password you set up when you installed. Alternatively, you can log in as "root" at the login screen.

Note you'll need to reboot after the changes.

The drivers from Asante have the interface showing up on my machine, and I can ping it and bring it up, but it shows up as "inactive" and doesn't know what media type its on. I've had problems with this card in the past however, and I'm not entirely sure its a 590. It is some form of AsanteFast 10/100 card though, and works on OS 9.

I use the card to bridge my house LAN in, and as soon as I get this working I'll use OS X more regularly (next stop, airport, which has similar problems).

It turns out the en1 was my airport card, and _en2_ was the AsanteFAST card. After realizing that, I was able to get the interface up no problem, and was quickly routing packets to my home LAN with ipfw and natd as described elsewhere in this BB.

I was able to log in as "root", make my changes and restart. My G3 is now recognizing the NIC card, as well as authenticating to the DHCP server. I definitely will start using the new OS more frequently now. I greatly appreciate the info.

Originally posted by sharrison
I was able to log in as "root", make my changes and restart. My G3 is now recognizing the NIC card, as well as authenticating to the DHCP server. I definitely will start using the new OS more frequently now. I greatly appreciate the info.

Has anyone else had to disable autonegotiation using Classic AsanteFast Options to get their card working? I am trying to eliminate variables to get a consistently working card, and this seems to be a part of it.

thanks in advance,
tim

Back