.asf....

Moptop

Registered
Is there any way to convert .asf movies to any other format in mac osx?

I can already watch them with VLC and have just been screen movie recording them, Lol...

If you can watch them with VLC, you can convert them with VLC. Select File > Streaming/Exporting Wizard.

ffmpegX can also convert some, but not if they use WMV3 (more likely in wmv than asf).

And if you buy Flip4Mac's WMV Player for QuickTime, you can convert them with any QuickTime-based program.

If you can watch them with VLC, you can convert them with VLC. Select File > Streaming/Exporting Wizard.

Did that, no matter what settings I choose I always end up with an error message and no encodeing, or a unplayable file.

ffmpegX can also convert some, but not if they use WMV3 (more likely in wmv than asf).

Tried it, cant read the files.

And if you buy Flip4Mac's WMV Player for QuickTime, you can convert them with any QuickTime-based program.

Already have it, can't open the files with q-time.

EDIT: Ok, I updated my flip-for-mac, and when played in quicktime I get audio, but no video.

When imported to Imovie it has audio & video though.

What was the error message in VLC? And are you using the latest version (0.8.6, released just two days ago)? FYI, I usually use MPEG4 video and MPEG4 audio in an mp4 container, since most of the other formats VLC can export to are not so QuickTime-friendly.

Edit: Also, if you did recently update, you might wanmt to run the "Delete_Preferences.app" that they include with the package. You'd amazed how many problems with VLC can be solved by deleting older preference files.

And after updating WMV Player, did you quit & reload QuickTime Player before trying to open the movie again?

Ok, Ill try that.

Edit: tried your settings, got:

ffmpeg: cannot open encoder
stream_out_transcode: cannot find encoder ((null))
stream_out_transcode: cannot create audio chain
main: cannot create packetizer output ( ms)

Video exported but not audio. (Yes I had audio on)

Ahh, it's a problem with the audio. I see. I've had issued with ' ms' audio in the past as well. Unfortunately, I don't have any files on hand that use it, so I can't run any tests. I remember it driving me up the wall, though. :(

My best advice is to try to convert just the audio to something more flexible. ffmpegX might be able to do something with it (but not the video). You could also try some different encoders from VLC. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I don't know what else to say.

Back