ASR, Terminal and YOU! or "smells like asr in here"

bossa nova

Registered
Ok so I got asr installed and it looks like it worked when I made my image. Now I can't get it to restore to the correct volume. Any ideas?

Here's my command line session:

[Admin:/Volumes/Test Partition] root# asr -source /Volumes/OS\ X\ Boot\ disk/test\ partition\ files/HD.ro_asr.dmg -target /Volumes/Test\ Partition/ -erase -noprompt
Validating target...done
Validating source...done
Erasing target device /dev/disk2s9.../sbin/newfs_hfs: /dev/disk2s9 is mounted on /Volumes/Test Partition
/sbin/newfs_hfs failed with error 256
/Volumes/Test Partition

couldn't erase target - Operation not permitted.
[Admin:/Volumes/Test Partition] root# sudo asr -source /Volumes/OS\ X\ Boot\ disk/test\ partition\ files/HD.ro_asr.dmg -target /Volumes/Test\ Partition/ -erase -noprompt
Validating target...done
Validating source...done
Erasing target device /dev/disk2s9.../sbin/newfs_hfs: /dev/disk2s9 is mounted on /Volumes/Test Partition
/Volumes/Test Partition

-----end of terminal session

Posted: Tue 15 Jul, 2003 13:08__ _Post subject: ASR Additional Command line attempts
------------------------------------------------------------------------
...ok now trying something different. On this second attempt I was trying to restore to a firewire drive that was partitioned into 3 volumes. I was thinking maybe it wasn't working because it didn't want to write to a firewire volume that was partitioned. (don't ask me why-I just think some firewire volumes are finicky)

So this time I booted from the firewire drive instead and I installed an additional drive right into the machine and tried again. Can anyone see the error in my ways in the following terminal session?

Last login: Tue Jul 15 10:44:20 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
[My-Computer:~] My% asr -source ./HD.ro_asr.dmg -target /Volumes/Test\ Partition -erase -noprompt
Validating target...done
Validating source.../usr/bin/hdid: "/Users/My/HD.ro_asr.dmg" unrecognized: No such file or directory.
couldn't validate source - No such file or directory.

[My-Computer:~] My% where asr
/usr/sbin/asr
[My-Computer:~] My% asr -source /HD.ro_asr.dmg -target /Volumes/Test\ Partition -erase -noprompt
Validating target...done
Validating source...done
Erasing target device /dev/disk2s9.../sbin/newfs_hfs: /dev/rdisk2s9: Permission denied
/Volumes/Test Partition

[My-Computer:~] My% asr -source /HD.ro_asr.dmg -target /Volumes/G4\ 1GHz -erase -noprompt
Validating target.../sbin/mount_hfs: Operation not permitted
/sbin/mount failed with error 256

Couldn't enable permissions for "/Volumes/G4 1GHz"
Try using -disableOwners

couldn't validate target - Operation not permitted.
[My-Computer:~] My% asr -source /HD.ro_asr.dmg -target /Volumes/TV\ G4\ 1GHz -erase -noprompt
Validating target...done
Validating source...done
Erasing target device /dev/disk1s9.../sbin/newfs_hfs: /dev/rdisk1s9: Permission denied
/Volumes/G4 1GHz

[My-Computer:~] My% asr -source /HD.ro_asr.dmg -target /Volumes/G4\ 1GHz
Validating target..."/Volumes/G4 1GHz" is not a volume

couldn't validate target - No such file or directory.
[My-Computer:~] My% mount /Volumes/G4\ 1GHZ
mount: /Volumes/G4 1GHZ: unknown special file or file system.
[My-Computer:~] My%

----end terminal session.

This is really getting frustrating. I have to get this image finished and the pc guys think this is really funny and have made some very dry Mac jokes. Maybe pc's really are the answer. It's slow going trying to learn this stuff from bulletin boards and trial and error.

Anyone wanta have an ASR party? I will bring the beer!

Sorry about the PC guys. Annoying little freaks, aren't they? PCs are not the answer. More often they are the problem. I mean, obviously PCs haven't done anything to educate their users about Unix, which leaves them with a narrow and skewed view of how OS's are supposed to work. But enough ranting....

So you obviously need to use sudo asr ... to avoid the permission errors. As for the error 256, I haven't a clue. Perhaps you need to mark the target volume in the Finder as "Ignore permissions on this volume." Hard to say.

Have you read the asr manpages? If not do so now. It specifically says that ASR needs to be run as root, but there may be more clues you need in there.

man asr

Slur...

This is what confuses me about it. I am running asr as root, logged in as root. I even tried sudo as root so I don't think that is the problem. Got any other ideas? (I did read the man pages thoroughly prior and during the procedure, I even tried naming my image and destination volumes "source" and "target")

Looking at you rfirst error it looks like one problem is that your trying to reformat a mounted partition. Unmount it first and then try.

-Eric

Back