Assassin's Creed and Boot Camp bricked my iMac!

delventhalz

Registered
Okay, so it is not quite bricked, but it is very close, and I am at a loss. For the first time I have exhausted my knowledge and a series of Google searches and have come up short. Hopefully one of you guys can help. Sorry about how long this is, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible

First, the hardware:
27" iMac; OS X 10.6.2; 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo; 2GB RAM; GeForce 7600 (the $75 upgrade, if it maters)

The Circumstances:
I have had Boot Camp installed with Windows XP for a about a year now, though I have had to reinstall Windows a number of times. Frequently this seems to have corresponded with playing Assassin's Creed, though this is maybe just a coincidence.

Most recently, (about a week ago) I installed Windows XP Black Edition, hoping it might fair a bit better, and everything ran well. Two days ago I booted up Assassin's Creed, and everything was fine until today. I was playing the game, paused it, got up, and when I came back the computer was frozen with a mess of garbled checkers displayed on the screen.

The Problem:
I rebooted into Windows, and it locked up on a similar checkered screen.
I booted into Mac and it locked up during the grey apple logo.
I booted to the INSTALL DISC and it STILL froze during the grey apple logo.
HOWEVER, it will allow my to hold down option and pick which start disc I want it to freeze in, so it CAN access the firmware, but it CAN NOT get at either hard drive partition or the optical drive? All because it locked up during some game? Weird.

What I Have Tried:
I have tried booting from multiple install discs (see above)
I have tried resetting the PRAM several times
I have unplugged every peripheral other than my keyboard and mouse
I have tried booting in Safe Mode
I have tried booting into Single User Mode (it WILL boot into this mode) and running the fsck -fy command
I have tried booting into Target Disk Mode (boots) and connecting it to my laptop, from which I ran a repair in Disk Utility: It completed successfully and said there were no issues.

Other Clues:
It pretty much freezes up at the same point every time, right in the middle of the spinning wheel under the grey apple logo.
If I leave the computer the grey logo and pinwheel will disappear, leaving a just a grey screen.
Once it gave me the Kernel Panic screen instead of just locking up
If I boot in Verbose Mode the last couple lines before it freezes are:
Warning - com.apple.driver.InternalModemSupport declares no kernel dependencies; using com.apple.kernel.6.0.
PeerGuardian log entries: 731 (40960)
However, sometimes verbose mode will switch to a blank grey screen rather than stick on those lines

Anyone got any ideas? Please? I hope.

Back