Assistance in Home Network Set-up via PPPoE using Dynamic IP

lemontwyst

Registered
Equipment:
WinXP Desktop (no problem with this one)
ibook G4 Mac OS X 10.4.2
Linksys BEFSR41

DSL Connection:
PPPoE with Dynamic IP

Questions:
1. Accdg. to my ISP provider they do not have utilities for my Mac so I can not configure it to connect to the Internet even with the router. Is there a way to go around it?

2. How do I configure my Mac to connect directly (w/o the router) to the Internet if my provider only uses dynamic IP?

3. How do i configure both the router and Mac to connect to the net via PPPoE using dynamic IP

Hi,
You can enable PPPoE on the Linksys Router and disable PPPoE on both the PC and the DSL Modem. *If your desktop is working fine than PPPoE is probably NOT set up on the DSL Modem.

Also check through this posting.
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,14495713

Here's what I'd do.
-Google for manual of Linksys BEFSR41 to have it ready. Have it ready on the desktop for viewing.
-Disconnect XP Desktop from network but don't turn it off.
-Following the manual, enable PPPoE in Linksys.
-Reboot DSL Modem first, 1 minute later the Linksys.
-Try surfing with your ibook.
-If PPPoE on Linksys is setup properly, it will authenticate for you, not the PPPoE software client which seems to have been set up on your desktop.
-Test Linksys with the ibook over a few hrs or so to make sure no conection is dropped.
-When satisfied with ibook, you can disable PPPoE on your winXP desktop. You can either just turn it off or uninstall software installed by DSL provider. Safest thing to do is to call DSL Provider and ask how to turn off PPPoE, not unistalle it... Just tell them you want to give the desktop away to someone so it shouldn't have PPPoE. Not encouraging lying or anything but sometimes tech support won't help you unless you paint a picture where they HAVE to help you.

Back