.ASX format

dmetzcher said:
ASX is not a media format...
See this page for details:
http://www.w3schools.com/media/media_windowsformats.asp

You are looking for the ASF format of your file. The ASX file is a plain text file used to describe ASF files.

I believe that I converted an ASF file into MP3 via Windows Media Player for Mac. If not, try EasyWMA.
I should have been clearer above...
The ASX file is used to describe the ASF file, when the ASF file is being streamed. ASX files can also be used to describe multiple multimedia files. The link in my post above will answer any questions about the file format, however.

It depends on the codecs used in the file, I think. Try using VLC's Streaming/Exporting Wizard (under the file menu). It will let you take streams (or local files) and convert them to, say, MPEG4.

If you're dealing with local files and not streams, then ffmpegX (see below for link) could probably also do the job.

Neither of these can handle WMV3 video, though.

I've converted the file format you are talking about. Can you download the ASF file with a right-click on the link on whatever Web site you see it on?

I friend of mine sent it to me, via email. The icon indicated it was windows media file. I click it, media player opened, and report it could not read the file. In any event, I deleted it. I have never come across this file format before, just curious as to what is was. Thanks for the replies.

No problem. If you view the file in a text editor next time, it will tell you where the target file is, in case you want to try to download it for conversion.

Back