AT&T and my web server

Majin Silver

Registered
Ok, so I set up Apache and everything was peachy. Until I found out AT&T will not allow you to run your own server. AT&T's broadband dept. has been bought out by Comcast, making Comcast the #1 cable provider in the united states, and they are using the same policies as AT&T. This means for about what..maybe 60% of the country, Apache is completly useless unless you are a business. Good thing I didn't open my wallet for the expenisve MAC OS X Server. Isn't there anything I can do to be able to host the server without paying through the ass? :(

I'm confused... are you running Apache from your own machine at your own desk? Or is it a hosted machine somewhere else?

Why wouldn't you be able to run Apache from your own machine over broadband!

I'm using Apache on my computer at my own home. However, I can't let the outside world into it, because AT&T blocks the outside world from accessing my network. I asked them about it, and all they would tell me, is it is against their user policy to have your own server. They wouldn't even tell me why. All I want to do, is use Apache to host my own website, but they don't allow it.

Wow, this is bad... I presume they must be blocking your port 80 or something... can't you change providers?

I wish I could help with info but I'm on the other side of the Atlantic!

Do you have a router off them? If so, they have complete control over your usage.

What about changing your port that you serve on (I think you can do this in the Apache configuration file). However, I don't know the implications of this.

Geez, this sounds like paranoia at it's worst! Ask them what it would take to allow you to serve.

hm yeah, maybe I can allow traffic through another port..
The only way they will allow you to have a server is if you are a business. The reason for this is because they want a piece of a pie.

There are several hosting companies that offer collocation services for reasonable $$$. You provide the server and they provide power, ethernet, and minimal support (typically for just the power/ethernet :) ).

Back