ATI Graphics Card

unlearnthetruth

Recycle Me!
Hey guys, so I have the Rage128Pro that came with this beast, and I was wondering if I really have any reason to upgrade it, since they've come so far since. Aside from gaming, which i do to an extent, will there be any other improvements or needs to upgrade (such as 10.2)?

i have a rage pro in my dual 500, it gets the job done, but ive always wanted more power. 10.2's new quartz engine will beg for video memory, at least 32 megs.. so this summer im goin to upgrade to an ati 8500 with 64 megs... thats what i think will be the best for a g4 and 10.2 when it comes out

yeah i was thinking of doing the same. once i'm working again and have income i'm foreseeing a 8500 in my g4's future... excellent

hmm... anyone know how the 64mg ati card compares to a 64mg nVidia card? i can't seem to find much in the way of comparison...

The 8500 is better than the GeForce 4 MX, but just a tad behind the Geforce 4 Ti. I feel the need to point out this deal again.
8500 Promotion
$150 aint bad for the 8500. Unless you're thinking about upgrading to a faster machine soon. I'd say it's a good thing to get. I have a "vanilla" Radeon card which is much better than the card my G4 shipped with.

damn - that deal is really hot, but i can't partake! it says it's limited to radeon 7500 or geforce 4 owners, i have a rage whatever... oh well :(

I just bought a Radeon 7000 for my B&W G3. A steal at 110. But since I have PCI graphics, even the 32MB card doesn't mean anything to Jaguar's Quartz Extreme. What the hell is that? Aside from a faster data bus, is it really that different that they couldn't support it? I know you can plug a PCI card into an AGP slot and have it work (or was that the other way around?), albeit at a lower speed. is anyone familiar enough with these archictectures to clue me an as to why I'm now being left behind TWICE (RagePro in my beige G3, now PCI graphics in the B&W series.)

Should I just get into the market for a used G4 AGP 2x motherboard? I've still got no AGP graphics board tho and that bites, i'll have to get that too. I'm NOT buying a whole new system. I just dumped an 80GB drive and G4 450 into this thing.

I have the GeForce2MX in my G4 tower, and when the time is right, I'm planning on swapping that puppy out with a GeForce 4 Ti... those things are awesome!

I was just thinking of upgrading my graphics card to a 7000; The price is not bad (visit Dealmac.com, there you will find that buy.com is offering this card for $106.00 + free shipping). Heck, all I want it for is for Quarts extreem on 10.2

:)

I have a G4 sawtooth 400, I will have a ragepro AGP videocard I'll probably trash. Anyone interested in taking it?

If you are buying for an AGP machine, go for the Radeon 8500. The 7000 is PCI and more than likely will not benefit as much from Quartz Extreme. Which makes me sad, cuz I bought one hoping it would help OS X's performance :(

Originally posted by dlookus
The 8500 is better than the GeForce 4 MX, but just a tad behind the Geforce 4 Ti. I feel the need to point out this deal again.
8500 Promotion
$150 aint bad for the 8500. Unless you're thinking about upgrading to a faster machine soon. I'd say it's a good thing to get. I have a "vanilla" Radeon card which is much better than the card my G4 shipped with.

What type of card do you need to return? Any old card or does have to be the GeForce 4?

I wouldnt mind trading in my rage pro for an 8500...

hehe, didn't see that...

How about the regular ati trade up program, anyone tried it?

It seems like you don't save much...they give you the card for $280 with a $30 rebate but you have to pay for shipping charges and tax...

I would pay $200 for the 8500, but I can't see myself spending $250+ on it right now...

its my bet that ati will release a 128 meg version of the 8500 with jaguar. at that time i think we will see a price drop in the 64 meg version.

Back