Attachment Troubs

olygfx

Registered
Hi.

I'm having trouble receiving email attachments to my work address in Mac Mail. We're running Tiger and our email comes from an exchange server. The attachments either aren't there or when I go to open them, the program that opens them says the file is corrupt. This happens with all sorts of files - jpg, eps, psd, pdf. word and ppt files seem to be okay.

I can open the same files without issue when they're sent to my non-work email account which I check via web. My coworkers who use the same setup as me aren't having these problems at all.

i went to IT with this problem but since they didn't have the problem on a windows machine they say it must be my mac. any thoughts?

Thanks!

olygfx said:
Hi.

I'm having trouble receiving email attachments to my work address in Mac Mail. We're running Tiger and our email comes from an exchange server. The attachments either aren't there or when I go to open them, the program that opens them says the file is corrupt. This happens with all sorts of files - jpg, eps, psd, pdf. word and ppt files seem to be okay.

I can open the same files without issue when they're sent to my non-work email account which I check via web. My coworkers who use the same setup as me aren't having these problems at all.

i went to IT with this problem but since they didn't have the problem on a windows machine they say it must be my mac. any thoughts?

Thanks!
Your IT department may have installed an antivirus filter on your Exchange server. My experience with such filters is that they can be extremely unfriendly to Macs. My Windows-using colleagues could send me just about any type of file. However, the filter would remove .pdf, .doc, .zip and other common data files sent as attachments from my Mac. I assume that this was due to bad configuration because the filter is not as bad now. The thing that you have to realize is that IT loves to blame Macs for any problems experienced by Mac users. You think that they are just being anti-Mac. The reality is that they don't know what they are doing.

Back