Attitudes of Windows vs. Mac users

rubicon said:
I've been a long-time user of computers from the early 80s: Timex, Commodore, Atari (8- and 16-bit), Mac Classic, and finally settling to PCs because I could afford one in 1988. Recently I bought a PowerBook to accompany my Windows XP desktop.
Started on an Apple II at school, family bought a Commadore 64 later on. Bought a Vic for myself, the the C64 died and family bought a 386DX33 clone. About two years later they gave that to me, bought a P-100. Two years later my dad bought each of us some used P-100s, then a few years ago bought himself a P4 1.6ghz. Brother have newer gateways and I bought my beige G3 in 98 or 99. We have so many computers in the house at that time it isn't funnny, some were working some not. Most were sitting in the basement, but 5 were always working...one for each family member. Of all those, one Mac...mine.

rubicon said:
-- Windows users tend to be more technically-savvy regarding computer technology
I think the opposite is true, they think they're more savy. The vast majority of Windows users I know have very little knowledge about computers, most have no idea what RAM is. I sold computers for 3 years with a large chain store in my Area, and can tell you...very few people knew anything about computers and I sold thousands during that time. Granted most savy ones probably wouldn't buy from a chain, then again maybe they would.

rubicon said:
-- Mac users see their Apple technology as the underdog, patiently waiting for Windows users to discover the benefits of a Mac
Never seen mine as an underdog, and the house currently has a P4 1.6 Dell on XP Home, a Gateway AMD Athalon 1.2 on XP Pro, a Gateway AMD Athalon 750mhz on Win98SE, and by beige g3 300 dt with X 10.1.5...funny thing is mine has the best uptime, crashes the least, and just plain works. I'm also the only one who messes with Photoshop, AV files, web design, and InDesign. This is while running MySQL server, Apache, and quite a few other programs in the background. She works, and she does it with regularity. Might not be the fastest conputer, but it's stable.

rubicon said:
-- Windows users are cynical and resigned; if new software doesn't work perfectly out of the box they bad-mouth it; same goes for any technology they used a couple of times and couldn't get to work (after all, they are experts!)

-- Mac users are optimisitic and upbeat; if they can't get new software/hardware to work, they move on - no bitching about it; nor do Mac users blast other technology that isn't a Mac[/QUOTE]
Ok...well, that's not really true. I see users on both sides have similar wishs/wants/rants. In fact you'll find alot of proof showing the opposite her at these forums, just look around.

rubicon said:
-- On the other hand, Mac users are close-minded - the Mac is simply better no matter what
A Volvo is much safer than an American or Japanese car when you're involved in a wreck. They also have the highest lifspan expectancy of any automobile, at just over 21 years. It costs 30% more on average, and has a small market share (sound familiar?). There's nothing close minded about that, it's just the plain facts.

rubicon said:
Hmm, maybe this has more to do with the biological age of the message poster than it does with the computer they're using.
Maybe, then again most Mac users are college edu-ma-cated, and generally more wealthy than their Windows counterparts. They also tend to be involved in more technologically advanced careers. There was actually a study done on this, though I don't have a link. Someone else have it by chance?

Trillian said:
Ok... Where dose windows keep all of its syteme .ico files?

Every and anywhere it decides to in order to make you life a living...well, you get the point.

I sometimes wonder if they don't have a couple of super computers figuring out large alogrimths on how to scatter files all over your hard disk.

rubicon said:
-- Windows users tend to be more technically-savvy regarding computer technology

Those who build their own PC's are probably more savvy than the average Apple user, but those who do not build their own PC's are not. I built my own PC's for the past 4 years, am a Linux user, and came to the Mac to get the best of both worlds: The unix and desktop/multimedia experience in one computer.

rubicon said:
-- Mac users see their Apple technology as the underdog, patiently waiting for Windows users to discover the benefits of a Mac

I don't. The main reason why Apple is 3% Market Share is because there are not that many descriminating computer users in the world. Most people don't see the significance of MacOSX being based on Unix versus MS being based on DOS.

rubicon said:
-- Windows users are cynical and resigned; if new software doesn't work perfectly out of the box they bad-mouth it; same goes for any technology they used a couple of times and couldn't get to work (after all, they are experts!)

Since getting my Mac I haven't run into any errant code, so I can't really speak on this. Actually I find apps for the Mac much better than their Windows counterparts.

rubicon said:
-- Mac users are optimisitic and upbeat; if they can't get new software/hardware to work, they move on - no bitching about it; nor do Mac users blast other technology that isn't a Mac

I wouldn't roll over and play dead on dud software.

rubicon said:
-- On the other hand, Mac users are close-minded - the Mac is simply better no matter what

I love computers in general. I've used and continue to use diverse system platforms for different applications. I see benefits and detriments to them all. But one benefit of the Mac now is that it is a consumer desktop computer and cheap Unix workstation rolled into one nice platform. Can't get that anywhere else out of the box, AFAIK.

I own many more PC's than Macs. I usually also buy more PC's in general. The difference is, Macs are FUN to use. I'm not talking about playing games on a PC, I'm talking about just the USING of it. It's actually enjoyable. Panther's Expose just knocks me out.

A friend at work told me what he discovered about Windows and Mac users. PC users really LIKE their computers, Mac users LOVE their Macs.

kafene.

Back