audio recording software?

andrefrancis

... yes it's really me!
I have an iMac24 and a musical backing track in mp3 format.

Is there any way I can input a vocal and mix it with the backing track? I do understand (and have used) iMovieHD for video/audio recording ... but just want to record and mix my voice with the backing track without video.

Any suggestions?

Thank you in anticipation

Andre Francis

You could do it in iMovie and then export the file without video (using expert settings). The .mov file will play in iTunes and QT and you can convert in iTunes to MP3 or AAC.

Also if you have GarageBand that makes for a very good way of recording voice-overs on a musical backing track, as you can adjust the volume of each channel seperately over the timeline, and it can even set these automatically using voice detection (in the current version anyway).

I would say Audacity, for a much more accurate input level indicater, but Garageband is a much easier to use and see mixer. I would just tell you to use audacity though, it is much easier as a waveform editor and there is more you can do to that wave form than you can in garageband!! Can you really export just as audio in iMove?? didn't know that - then again i never looked!!

Back