Auth to ADS simply drives me mad!!

Trilithon

Registered
Hi everyone,

This issue of mine is an ongoing soap opera of non-logical errors which I've been battleing for some time now. I really need some help with this problem since I'm about to loose my sanity and go postal on the XServe.

I have one XServe G5 hooked up with one XServeRaid box.
The G5 is running OS X Server 10.4.6 but the problem has been with me since 10.4.3. The G5 is also hooked up to our LAN and is supposed to authenticate users against our AD which is our primary environment (win2000 servers).

Now, for some reason AD users accessing the G5's RAID system via their PC (samba,cifs share) seems to be authenticated 99% of the time but then it just stops authenticating users for some reason. After a while (a few minutes to several hours) is works again.

I get alot of these in my log.smbd (I've X'ed the username)

[2006/05/22 13:02:33, 1] auth_ods.c: opendirectory_auth_user(208)
User "xxxxxxx" failed to authenticate with "dsAuthMethodStandard:dsAuthSMBNTKey" (-14090) : (

and

[2006/05/22 13:04:28, 2] /SourceCache/samba/samba-92.19/samba/source/auth/auth.c:check_ntlm_password(367)
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [xxxxxxx] -> [xxxxxxxx] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

The DNS seems to be ok when running "host servers.fqdn.here" as well as "host ipaddress" from a command line.

When I run the command "hostname" from a CLI I get the servers WINS name and NOT the FQDN. If I run the command "scutil --get HostName" the result is in FQDN format.

However, the kerberos tickets doesn't seem to renew themselves.

Any help I can get would be much appreciated.
If you'd like more info I can always post some logs etc...

Thanks in advance!
T

I'd consider running some directory service debugging to see what's going on.

Have you done that before? It can be very verbose in its logging! :)

Michael

Go3iverson said:
I'd consider running some directory service debugging to see what's going on.

Have you done that before? It can be very verbose in its logging! :)

Michael

Hi Michael,

I just sent you a PM hoping you'd be out there :)

I've never used the debug mode so this should be interesting...
Is there any guidance to find?

Regards
T

Back