authenticate against AD in OSX LoginWindow ?

gandalf01

Registered
O.k. so we have many Macs (OSX 10.4.x) in our mixed network enviroment. The PCs are all members of the domain and the users all log into them with domain accounts too.
Do the Macs have to have a computer account on the domain before a user can enter their domain username and password into OSXs LoginWindow and get authenticated against the domain instead of locally ?

I dont want any schema stuff, just so that users can log onto their Macs using their domain accounts so I dont have to keep creating new local ones for when people and also so people dont have 2 seperate accounts, one for OSX local account and then a domain one for when they log onto email and file servers. As soon as the domain one prompts for a password change after 30 days its out of sync with the local OSX one, which us fixed and does not expire.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have seen loads of resources for all this on the internet but not sure which to look at, I suppose it depends on what you want to achieve ??

Back