Authorizing long delay on 10.1

rampel

Registered
I've got this problem in X 10.1 and it is most pronounced when working in Network deffinitions:

Whenever I want to change network / tcp settings and I'm asked to unlock with Admin pass,
the colored ball spins and spins, some times even for 10 minutes or so before the admin pane comes on.
When I click to lock and prevent changes - same thing - same long wait. this is specific to anything to do with Network, and Netmanage

Any advice, opinion, wolcome

TIA

I could be mistaken, but I seem to remember this being related to the startup delay symptom. That one is a stall at the blue screen right before the Login Window appears, and it can as well last 5-10 minutes.

At least in the case of the loginwindow problem, it is caused by your machine thinking its on an always on network (Ethernet, as opposed to PPP) when the network actually isn't available--apparently it looks for network users before it'll display the loginwindow, but the timeout before it gives up is HUGE.

I have a feeling it might be the same thing with the admin password feature, since I think I've seen it myself--the system looks for other, external users or something to that effect, causing the stall.

In my case the problem occurs when I've physically turned my cable modem off... perhaps you're in a similar situation? It's not supposed to happen with modem connections, but I seem to remember cases where it might...

my ISP sucks, it seems to have "peak hours" of about 18hrs a day, and so basically, my cable's conneciton can die anytime.

when it dies, there's delay in alot of things, network related or not... and this is pretty annoying. I can't really tell, but from the sound of the posts (man... what am I saying here?), you guys seem to experience longer delays than I do...

and at the startup, there's some delay during starting of "sendmail", but other's are mostly unnoticeable.

I've never had delay of 5-10 mins, except when I made a mistake with netinfo, but that got stuck at "starting directory service", I guess your problem is different.

in any case... this is pretty annoying:mad:

Back