Auto-completion in Xcode?

Damrod

Registered
I searched the forum here and the documentation of Xcode for this, but could not find an answer for this:

Has Xcode any form of source code auto-completion? Like it is there in iTunes (can not think of any other examples right now), where you type the beginning of a band name in the information window for example, and it auto-cpmpletes that band name by itself.

I worked with VisualAge by IBM in school, and that feature was very handy. But I have not discovered anything like that neither in Xcode, nor Projectbuilder before that yet.

Any suggestions highly appreciated. :)

Yeah, its there. But it works occasionally for me, and like cfleck said, it ain't great.

for anyone who has done development in .NET you know what auto completion is, i was very disappointed when i installed xcode the other-day, i couldn't make it suggest anything - maybe it only works for cocoa, i was using c++.
It couldn't even manage to give the methods that math.h has - see attachment

Attachments

• non-completion.jpg
    non-completion.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 5
You can enable code completion in the Preferences..., or locally for each project, using the Inspector.
It works, but first it has to index your files & frameworks.
The only problem (and the reason I turned it off) is that it can get in the way of typing and some times, right before you select Build&Run it can add "..." wherever the cursor is :confused: , forcing you to erase it manuallly and recompile!!! Anyway, maybe that was fixed in the latest update, I haven't downloaded it yet.

Back