Auto Power/Energy Saver

Murderer909

Violent Member
In OS 9.1 I can use the Energy Saver to turn my Mac on and off automatically. OS X is lacking this. Any ideas, small proggies, or anything? I wonder if this will be implemented into later versions of X. Hmmmm...

Another thing that we're lacking is the option of restarting after power failures. Since I leave my Mac(s) on 24 hours a day, this would be nice to enable.

We can only hope that Apple polishes up OS X's atrocious power management facilities. I'm sure it was one of those Back Burner issues since there are more pressing matters for them to address.

-Rob

This is just a guess, but aren't these features controlled by hardware and firmware? If the computer is off, OS X isn't running, so it certainly doesn't handle the auto power on by itself. Just out of curiosity, someone should try configuring it with OS 9, restarting in X, and seeing if it works like it should. If that's the case, then all someone would need to do is make a program to set the PRAM values.

I don't know how, but Iheard a rumor and it seems to be true, this weekend the power went out at my office, where I have a server running OS X 10.0.3(not server) and when we came in on Monday, the OSX machine had automatically restarted and all the other machines were off. This is very cool if you are running a server! Auto restart after powerfailure, setup mysql to start at startup and anyone can host a server :D . Unfortunately I heard it only works on G4s. :(

Starts up for me too. G4/733 / 10.0.3, so maybe you're correct about it only working on the new models. I can't say if that's true or not - only one power outage and the 733 is the only mac i run 24/7

yeah I am talking about Auto Power On/Off and Energy Savers function of being able to start up independently, like on a schedule, there is no way to do that in X. I am sure that most of the computers turn back on if there is an outage...I think thats just the way it works...

Originally posted by Murderer909
In OS 9.1 I can use the Energy Saver to turn my Mac on and off automatically. OS X is lacking this. Any ideas, small proggies, or anything? I wonder if this will be implemented into later versions of X. Hmmmm...

I think that this feature may be built in. I came home the other day to find my comp operational after the rest of the house went down during a power failure. Maybe it is a Unix feature...servers and all. I'm on a G3, too.

When setuping OS X Server, (the brand new version) i noticed something in the energy saver control panel. At the bottom of the panel was the option to auto-restart after a freeze. The button was already checked, however it was grayed out, meaning i couldn't un-check it, which i spose is a good thing.

Just thought that was interesting...

This was on a Single Processor G4 450
20+30 gig HD
512 mb RAM

Why not try this (in MacOS 9):

Step 1: Open Startup Disk and select your OS X volume as your boot preference

Step 2: Open Energy Saver and set the startup time

Shut down and wait for it to start up

This is a option for Sever not Client versions of OS X. You can copy the preferences from Server's Energy Saver to Client version and get this feature back. You have to make the setting in you ant in client in server first, then copy them over to client. Then don't forget to set server back to orginal settings. I don't know any utils to do this at the moment. Hopefully something soon.

If someone could post the prefs from OS X Server's Energy Saver panel, we could dissect it and figure out how to do it on OS X.

-Tex Clayton

Back