Auto rename screenshots

KBug

Registered
I take a lot of screenshots daily, they are saved as Picture 1, Picture 2 ....etc on the Desktop. I need these screenshots for future reference so I move them to a folder called Screens on a daily basis. Lets say on Day 1 I take 10 screenshots and they are named as Picture 1 - Picture 10 on Desktop, now at the end of day 1, I move them to the folder Screens. Day 2 begins and I take, say, 10 more screenshots, again they are saved as Picture 1 - Picture 10 on Desktop. Now, the problems comes when I try to move these screenshots to the Screens folder. I am offered to replace the old ones, I don't want to replace them.
I am looking for an AppleScript that will rename my Day 2 screenshots as Picture 11-Picture 20 when I move them to screens folder.

I want to add a folder action to the scripts folder that will have this AppleScript attached which will rename the files in sequential order whenever I move screenshot to the folder.

Attached is an Automator Script and an application I wrote to help you. Simply move the application to the Desktop and create a folder called Pictures there. Just run the program and the app will take the files you selected, add the date, then move them to the Pictures folder (the one you created on the Desktop).

Heyy thanks, I downloaded the app and run it. I created Pictures folder and I ran the Pictures.app, I selected the images but it doesn't seem to add those images to Pictures folder I created on Desktop

Can you just modify the app so that I will just have to select the images on my desktop and drag them to your app i.e. pictures.app and then it will add date to them and move them to Screens folder. That would be great. Don't forget to attach the workflow along with app so that I can study it. Thanks

Here you go. You have to drag the pictures onto it now, or the program will be moved to the pictures folder and renamed (unless you put it in the dock).

Attachments

• Pictures.zip
    54.6 KB · Views: 13
Heyy Thanks, I just modified your workflow to point to screens folder, everything works but unlike in your pictures.app my version asks to choose files when I drag files on to the app. What could have happened ?? I modified only the last automator action to put the renamed files in Screens folder and not in pictures.

The is what my workflow looks like :

picture3b.jpg

I've modified just the last block so that it correctly points to Pictures folder on my Desktop

Okay now everything seems to be working fine except for one thing. How can I make it append time to the file name instead of date ?

Thanks for this program. I've been looking for something like this as I had the exact same dilemma as KBug (for years!).

I ran your program and it renamed all the files but it did not move them into the Pictures folder. Am I missing a step?

thanks.

Back