Automatic FTP download?

mindbend

Registered
Is there a way to automatically download a file via FTP?

I have an Access database on a website I want to download daily as backup (my assistant overwrote one last year and we can't have that again).

I am looking for Automator actions and can find ones that UPLOAD files automatically, but not download.

Do any of the FTP apps have features like this?

Thanks!

You could use iCal and an Apple script to automatically download via the Finder. Finder supports FTP downloading (read only).

Interarchy also supports scripting.

Edit: It looks like you can use Automater with iCal and Finder items to do this. Once you mount a server via Finder FTP it appears as a volume on your desktop. So any action which would copy from folder to folder would work the same way.

Follow up:

1. I ended up using Transmit's automator actions to make a workflow. Works great. Of course, I later discovered Freeware apps that do an even better and easier job, but hey, at least I learned a small bit about Automator.

2. QUESTION: Does anyone know how to schedule workflows within the wokflow itself? In other words, I can se iCal or a freeware app to schedule a task, but that's two steps. I want to be able to build the schedule right into the workflow in automator so I just have one thing to manage. Is this possible? For example, my goal is to have a workflow which automatically downloads a file from FTP every day as backup. (Yes, I've got a third party app to do this, but I'm wondering if I can build a workflow for this and other things that need scheduling).

Thanks!

I'm looking for a solution of automatic scheduled ftp downloading with deleting the downloaded file from remote server. Problem with deleting downloaded file. Made some search in internet but not successeful.

Looks like you had similar task. Please advise, may some software I could not found? Free solutions are welcome:)))

Back