Automatic Startup Scheduling

g3joel

Registered
One of the few annoyances that comes from migrating from OS 9 to X is, I find, the lack of a startup scheduler with which you can control what time/day your Mac will automatically power on. Such a feature used to exist in the Energy control panel in OS 9 but for some odd reason hasn't found its way into OS X :(

Does anyone know if it is somehow possible to whip up a quick Terminal script which would possibly use Cron to give your Mac a customisable startup schedule? Or perhaps there is simpler way to do this... I'm sort of clutching at straws here :p

I tend to think you are clutching at some elusive straws here ;), because when the computer is off, it's not going to be running any Terminal scripts anytime soon -- it will just have a bit set on when to start up the computer, if my understanding is correct.

Apple will have to build this functionality into OS X for this to work.

Yes, I noticed this in the early days of experimenting with OSX - I am wondering what official Apple have to say about this and when we should get this functionality which to my mind is very crucial.

Someone made a USB dongle that acted like a power button for keyboards that lack one.

Possibly you can figure out something purely mechanical to boot using that...

I cannot explain how or why - but the Automatic Startup - at 7.15pm - every day - seems to be working on my G3 under 10.1.3!!!! I set it up under OS9.1 which is still sitting on Partition 2 on my harddisk - and I had reason to occasionally use it. But now under 10.1.3 it start religiously at 7.15 pm
Try it out and let me know if it works for you!!

Back