Automating a simple task?

TommyWillB

Registered
I really don't know what thread to post this to, but I hope somone here can help.

I really like having the CPU Monitor's Expanded Window open at all times. by placing the program in the login items it successfully restarts when I login... however I need to use command-E each time to bring up the Expanded Window.

I tried messing aroiund with AppleScript to see if I could automate it... unfortunately I could not make AppleScript do anything. (Isn't the OS X Finder recordable?)

This seems like it ought to be very simple, but so far I'm feeling quite dense.

Isn't there a way to do this?

theoretically, it should remember your settings...

have you tried deleting its preferences file?
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.CPUMonitor.plist

Oh!.... if I quit and restart CPU Monitor it does remember my preferences.

However that is not the case if it is started byt the login pane...

I'll delet the plist and see if it changes next time I login... (I'm in the middle of too many things to logout right now...)

yeah seriously what's wrong with apple script support in os x? i can't record anything?!

Originally posted by TommyWillB
Unfortunately CPU Monitor does not remember its preferences across logouts or reboots...
That is strange.
I just tried it, and it remembers its settings on my machine.

Maybe you should throw it out of the login items, then add it to your dock, and then put it again in the login items, maybe this will work (That is the order in which I did it) :confused:

Oh, one thought:

Do you put it in the StartUpItems folder in /Library/, or do you use the Login Items in the Systempreferences app? (In the Login panel)

It won't remember any user specific settings if in /Library/StartUpItems.

I'm just using the Login preferences panel.

I did three things:
1) I chceked the Hide button for all of the other startup items.
2) I deleted CPU Monitor
3) When I re-added CPU monitor I put it at the end of the list.

With a simple logout it now works... I'll let you know if it gives me any more greif after the next time I reboot.

Thanks!

Back