wicky

play thing
I'm using OS x version 10.4.10

I have a LOAD of very annoyingly named files:
rf_header__0000_01.jpg
rf_header__0001_02.jpg
rf_header__0002_03.jpg
etc

I want to rename them to something more sensible like 01.jpg, 02, 03, etc.

I thought this is something that Automator would do with ease, but I would obviously have to use a wildcard for the varible numbers in the middle of the string:

I tried:
rf_header__****_01.jpg
but no joy!

Can somebody let me know how to use wildcards in Automator.

NB. Wildcards are the only thing that I miss from my M$ PeeCee days. You could use ***'s anywhere in the File Explorer. Is there a good reason why this is so much more difficult on a Mac?

Ooops. Think I put this is the wrong forum... I'm a bit tired. Sorry!

Could somebody with access please move it to a more sensible new home.

Thanks

In automator there's no direct way as far as I know, although you could string two "rename"modules together...

automator_rename.png

But you might also look into using the terminal. There's various ways of doing it, some decent examples here:

http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20010509130450691

Why not just use A Better Finder Renamer or its equivalent?

Certainly beats trying to get Automator to jump through hoops Apple never designed it for.

Automator has never lived up to its hype in my experience. There are so many things it won't or can't do. Or does in such an awkward way that debugging it takes longer than doing the job manually.

Why not just use A Better Finder Renamer or its equivalent?....

Because the issue isn't just about renaming some files in Finder, that's an example.

... Automator has never lived up to its hype in my experience. There are so many things it won't or can't do. .....

Yeah, I agree. The ability to use a wildcard would probably sort that out. Hence the question. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Back