available hard drive space waay off!

birdmedia

Registered
I recently reformatted my G4 60GB 800mhz. Immediately after I tried to load my Premiere 6.5 software and there wasn't enough hard drive space. Sure enough when I looked in the utility I had 65mb of free space!! I have 54.9gb of free space, am using 4.4gb and have only 64mb free??!! What gives?? There is currently nothing on my computer but the OS.

Thanks!

Sounds rather like a problem with the Premiere installer than OS X - unless other installers have the same problem, that is...

Since I am in a crunch and could not load Premiere I tried to import into iMovie and had only 65 mb of available space too, so I don't think it's Premiere

The freeware utility WhatSize will show all the visible and invisible files and directories on your system ranked by size. I have often found it useful in tracking down missing disk space.

I tried Whatsize, but my computer thinks I do not have enough memory to load it. Besides, I reformatted, shouldn't I have an empty computer except for the OS? My utility says I have 55gb or so available/empty but only 65mb free. Should I format again...? or what else??!! I'm getting very frustrated!!!!!!!

birdmedia said:
I tried Whatsize, but my computer thinks I do not have enough memory to load it. Besides, I reformatted, shouldn't I have an empty computer except for the OS? My utility says I have 55gb or so available/empty but only 65mb free. Should I format again...? or what else??!! I'm getting very frustrated!!!!!!!
I don't blame you for getting frustrated, your situation would frustrate anyone.

1. How much RAM do you have in your computer and what version of OS X are you running. WhatSize takes very little memory to run so not being able to load WhatSize is a very bad sign to start with.
  2. If you do not have enough RAM to run Whatsize, part of your disk capacity problem is going to be the size of the Swapfiles required to run OS X. The application loading problem probably has to be fixed first.
  3. There may be a problem with one of your RAM modules -- that can cause all kinds of apparently unrelated problems. The best test for RAM is to selectively remove RAM modules, including factory installed modules, and seeing if the problem goes away.
  4. Some third party kernel extensions can cause the log file to grow almost exponentially by continually throwing error messages to the logs.
  5. Norton AntiVirus is known to create a file that intentionally fills all the unused disk space. NAV is supposed to delete the file when it is finished with it, but that does not always happen.
  6. Norton products in general are problematic and removing them has cured a surprisingly wide range of problems.
  7. Some types of Damage to the Volume/Directory structure can cause erroneous disk capacity/availability indications.
So even though you just erased and reinstalled the drive may actually be full, or you may have other problems and the disk full indications are merely a symptom. Given the inability of WhatSize to load, erasing and starting over my result in your being right back in the same boat after reloading the second time.

Back