AVI file converter utilities....any good ones?

Munsey

Registered
Hello everyone - forgive me if this has already been discussed exhaustively in the past. I'm fantastically new to this forum (found it all of 10 minutes ago), so please feel free to refer me to old threads.

Anyway, my question is this - does anyone know of any programs/utilities for converting .avi files to .mpg or .mov formats that actually work? I've spent the last week searching around with no luck whatsoever. The few I've downloaded that seemed to hold the tiniest bit of promise always end up being pointlessly unstable or something to that end.

Any leads would be much appreciated.

-Munsey

The best one I've found so far is called DIVX Doctor II, but it only runs well in Classic mode. They might make one for OSX now, but the last time I tried it it sucked. I re-boot into Classic whenever I need to convert an AVI file.

It's disappointing, really, that no good DIVX players are out for OSX, much less a simple converter.

DivX Doctor II works great in X. it only needs 9 if your .avi was encoded with a WMA codec. in which case, you just right click the file, click 'get info' and hit 'open in classic mode'. no problems there.
VLC is a fantastic video player that will play basically anything quicktime won't; including DivX encoded .avi files.
give it a shot.

Back