AVI Movie Files

Jethack 1

Registered
I have been using Avidemux2 to play AVI files on my iMac 10.6. Is there a way to play AVI files in iMovie or Quicktime. Or, is there a way to convert AVI files to some other type of file so I could play it in iMovie and edit it there? I have tried using Avidemux to convert AVI to another type of file, but have so far been unsuccessful in doing so. I can't get Quicktime or iMovie to recognize the files. Any ideas? Thanks!
Rick

Thanks for the reply. Is handbrake another download, or is it part of Periian or Vlc. Actually, I have no problem playing AVI files in avidemux2. What I really want to do is convert them to a file that I could move to iMovie and edit them in iMovie. Is there a way to do that with either Perian or Vlc? Thanks.

Your best option to edit video you cannot in iMovie is to use Quicktime Pro combined with perian. You will only be able to do basic edits but it's very user friendly.

Your best converting option is Handbrake. It has many Apple-centric presets. QT Pro does ripping also but Handbrake is much faster at it. You can use either FFmpeg or h.264 wrapped .mp4 to do what you want. FFmpeg will rip much faster but look more blocky/grainy. h.264 looks better but can take 2-3x longer to rip.

I can say from experience that the best thing to do when learning how to rip, edit or do anything with video is to experiment a bit and get a feel for it.

... What I really want to do is convert them to a file that I could move to iMovie and edit them in iMovie. Is there a way to do that with either Perian or Vlc? Thanks.
AVI video/audio tracks are usually compressed using lossy formats. Each transcode will add to the media's generational losses. Minimize the number of transcodes. iMovie can edit .avi movies if their video and audio tracks use installed codecs. Do this:
  • Install the Perian codec suite.
  • Try to import your videos into iMovie.
  • If the import is successful, then there is no need to transcode to a different codec before editing.
You may save the finished product in whichever format you want.

Back