.AVI Player

Kerm

Registered
Does anyone know of a .avi video player for OS X (free would be best). I looked on downloads.com and I haven't been able to find one.

I agree, i even Dled divx and avi codecs for quicktime, but VLC is the master of all video playing apps.

gooogle VLC up.

there is no alternative to vlc. It's simply the best, if you ask me. I wouldn't even mind to pay something like 19 bucks, if the developers desired so.

vlc as an all round player is best for sure but when it comes to just playing video itself I feel quicktime does a better job. quicktime with the proper codecs is a very powerful tool. I also use mplayer a little as it seems to play the rare files that won't play on qt or vlc.

Don't mean to barge in like this, but maybe you guys have an idea
on whats going on:

VLC runs great on my powerbook(12",g4 867, 640MB ram, 10.3.5)
but It keeps giving me errors on my powermac( g5, 2.0DP, 4GB ram, 10.3.5).

DVD playback has no sound, and some xvid files gives out error warning
although the clip is playable.

I already repaired permissions, tested this as a different user and restarted
a couple of times but to no avail. I wonder if this problem is hardware related - not support g5 chips. or did I do something wrong?

thanks

hmmm, sounds weird. Did you try mplayer and see, if it causes the same probs?
Eventhough you tested this on a different user, did you delete the file 'org.videolan.vlc.plist' in the home/Library/Preferences folder?

I tried mplayer but found it to be a pale version of lvc. And that said, I don't really care for vlc much either. I hate to say it but I prefer Windows Media Player when it comes to .wmv's.
VLC still seems pretty buggy. I'm always have problems with it.

Thanks Zammy, I trashed that org.videolan.vlc.plist, restart but the
result is still the same.

I use Quicktime for almost all my media and Mplayer for the stuff quicktime can't play, but VLC was supposed to be my default dvd player since its not too fussy about regions and I play a lot of dvd's from different regions.

Is there any other player options apart from the one's mentioned that caaan handle dvd playback in any region code? I don't mind paying especially if it's good.

Back