B&W G3 - 8.5.1 - bus error, OSX 10.2 crashes...

frank_s

Registered
I have a MAC G3 (Blue and White) that I got from a friend. He gave me restore CD and Mac OSX CDs to install.
When I run the restore CD that loads OS 8.5.1.. and once it's done putting on the image.. when I restart I get an error: bus error - without error code number. When I tried installing MAC OSX.. I booted from the CD but the installation crashes few minutes after it starts installing files....

Where do I start.. how do I troubleshoot what the problem is? If I boot without extensions is there a way to determine what's crashing the system?

Please help....

I applied the firmware to that unit.. I had to hold buttons.. I got the progress bar and when I booted to 8.6 .. I got a message that firmware was upgraded... When I booted from OS10.2.. it still crashes in the middle of moving files over to the drive.... I had 12 GB hard drive that is partitioned as MAC Extended.. into 3 partitions.. and I am using the 3rd partition... is there anything else that I am missing.. can I see why it's crashing on me?

how large is the partition? you need at least 4gig. also, os x likes to be on the 1st partition on most of those older macs.

Ah yes, the partition issue. :rolleyes: I thought it was the first 7.5 GB of the hard drive. :confused:

Back