baaaaaa(d) RAM you?

applewhore

Registered
Sorry - forgive the title - I just got the line from the film "Babe" in my head as I was thinking about what to write - I promise not to think so much next time!

Anyway, I've got a Dual 1GHz PowerMac installed with 2GB RAM (that was not bought from Apple) - otherwise, it's completely standard...

It's been a headache from the beginning - whenever it goes to sleep, or the energy saving settings cut in, it refuses to wake up - it's like it's on those horse tranquilisers (but more of that another time!)...

I end up having to power down (using the power button) each time and then reboot...

As long as I'm working on it, it's fine, but God help me if I leave it alone for too long - I come back to "another fine mess"...

I've been blaming it on OS X problems - given that each version gave someone, somewhere, a problem, I figured that maybe it was just something that wouldn't go away - I've tried every version of OS X on it...

And now, with 10.3 installed, it's just done it again - TWICE in a row when I left it alone for 15 minutes... And there is nothing else on it other than Panther - I did a clean install and format of the HD... No other software or hardware involved...

I can't believe that Apple has brought out 3 versions of its OS that won't operate on a Dual 1GHz!

Is it possible that the RAM is to blame? I love the machine when it's working but it's getting close to becoming a "balcony job" (I live on the 11th floor, above a swimming pool...)

Otherwise, has anyone got any suggestions please? I'd love to get this thing up and running again!

Thanks

ed

:(

Go to the System Preferences>Energy saver>Advanced tab and uncheck all the boxes.
Next go to the Sleep tab and uncheck the use separate time.
Now give it a try.

Its most likley bad RAM. I had the same issues with my ibook after I installed an extra 256MB stick (apart from there wasn't any problem except sleep/wake, even the apple hardware disk didn't reported any errors). Some weeks ago I swapped my 256MB for 512MB at the apple reseller shop where I am currently working and the problems I had with my ibook were gone.

Back