Back Light in 12" PB G4 Dead

zamros

Registered
Hi,
I recently dropped my 12" aluminum G4 powerbook (nasty dent, actually) and since then the back light on the laptop has been completely dead. I can faintly see the screen if I look closely, the laptop makes sounds, the sleep light comes on when I close the case, and it turns on and off just fine. But I can't see anything on the screen!

I did some searching and found that I might need to replace the inverter board, or the whole screen. Because I am not on Applecare, I'd prefer to fix it myself. What are the chances that the actual bulbs for the back light are broken? Should I buy a replacement inverter board or a whole replacement screen? Is there a non-invasive way to fix it that doesn't involve buying anything (that's the most preferred option)? I've tried resetting the PMU but to no avail. Please help!

Thanks a lot!

Hey there! The inverter is the cheaper way to go, so I'd buy an inverter board and try that first. Hopefully it's that, 'cause it's a reletively cheap fix!

When my bulb went out Apple wanted 1200 to fix it (G4 1st Gen TiBook) but yours would be considerably cheaper I'm assuming. Here's the place that fixed mine for me, they sell parts but they also do repairs: http://www.wegenermedia.com/ They're not the fastest in the world, and for some reason they kept my box and are selling it on the site, but for the price I paid I'm not complaining too much. :)

Good luck!

Back