Back up question

starhorsepax

Registered
Hello all.
I don't have a system disc for my macbook and would like to make one. But when I try and create a disc image I get system busy. Time Machine wants to reformat the external drive, which I can't do as it'll erase a ton of files and I can't afford a new one.
I'm seriously crunched for cash so does anyone know a way without spending a fortune on a new disc or extra drive?
I do have one partially full external, one imac g3 running panther as well as the macbook running leopard. One would think with all this stuff there would be some way to do the basics!

It probably won't let you create the disk image since the external drive is not formatted as HFS+ journaled. So you would need to take all the info off of that external drive, repartition/reformat it accordingly, then move your files back on. We don't support bending licensing restrictions. Surely you can come up with $30 for a Snow Leopard license?

This is 10.5 leopard, not snow leopard. I'm not trying to get around a licence, as far as I know it's legit. I ordered online at DV warehouse and I checked with the Better Business Bureau. However they don't supply a system disc. I'm just astounded there is no way to make a regular backup. I didn't know until after the fact that Time Machine needed to reformat the drive.

And I am not kidding about money being tight. I don't even know how I'll pay of the computer! I'd not have bought it if I weren't desperately in need.

This is 10.5 leopard, not snow leopard. I'm not trying to get around a licence, as far as I know it's legit.

And I am not kidding about money being tight. I don't even know how I'll pay of the computer! I'd not have bought it if I weren't desperately in need.

I'm saying you could pay $30 and get a Snow Leopard license and have an installer and the newest OS. If you want to stay legit and get a cheap price, this is the way to go.

I'm broke too, whats your point? A computer is still a want in my book, not a need.

I'm taking job training in Web design applications-so it's school related. And they are all using old Gateways that break down or have log in issues every day. I've seen students have to haul in their own laptops because the 'virus squad' zoomed in and took their computer for upgrades or repairs, leaving them twiddling their thumbs! I can think of 5 times in the last month alone So want or need depends on what you're doing with it. The sooner I get thru the course the sooner I can improve my income situation.
I'd love to visit the Apple store again though...:cool:

Save the $ 30 for the discs from something else - don't go out for a pub once, skip a t-shirt purchase for now, or make your own lunch for a week or two.

And next time when buying a Mac, buy from a seller that ships the Macs with the discs they are shipped with.

Back