Back- Up ?!

Pauldunlop

Paul Dunlop
Does anyone think that backing up all data on my HD is worth it....I have G4 and about 10GB of the 20GB HD is full. Now, I could transfer some to an iMac, stick a load on Zip disk, and burn some onto CD, but does anyone actually think it's really necessary.

I haven't got the beta yet, but ordered it two days ago, so am getting ready !

Also, does anyone think it will be OK to install on a machine I NEED for everyday business ! It's just I want it to go on my G4 rather than my iMac, but am worried that it may stop me being able to perform everyday business functions ?!

Thanx

Paudunlop

Does anyone think that backing up all data on my HD is worth it....I have G4 and about 10GB of the 20GB HD is full. Now, I could transfer some to an iMac, stick a load on Zip disk, and burn some onto CD, but does anyone actually think it's really necessary.
it depends on how much you can afford to lose... im gonna back up all my most important stuff onto a dvd-ram before i install. i only have a 10GB in my g4, so i sacrificed the HD space for the DVD

Also, does anyone think it will be OK to install on a machine I NEED for everyday business ! It's just I want it to go on my G4 rather than my iMac, but am worried that it may stop me being able to perform everyday business functions ?!

again, i wouldn't, unless you dont mind losing all your data and going out of business ;)
there's supposed to be a dual-boot ability, but no word on how well it works. personally i'm installing on my old external 3G SCSI untill i see how well it works, then maybe i'll move it back onto the faster internal drive.

I am a realtively careful person, but still I believe that if your machine is one of the supported on Apple's site and if you have more than 800MB HDD and >=96MB RAM, you don't need any backup.

MacOS X install goes supersmoothly; it's almost impossible to crash, and more importantly: it works!

It is not very easy, however to downgrade from OS X to OS 9. Also, be sure that stuff that you want to do can be done on OS X, since AppleTalk doesn't work yet as well as support for most of 3rd party hardware (PalmPilot, network printing & stuff).

Marin

It hosed my outlook express settings. I was using it with the muli-user stuff under OS9 and after installing OSX all my email and settings had gone.

Im not sure if I screwer it by launching Outlook from within OSX or if OSX messed up my OS9 multi-user stuff.

Either way I couldnt retrieve the mail DB.

But hey, I had a backup so no big deal. :)

To backup or not to backup? 'tis your call.

Alex.

I too lost my email settings. I had my email aliased to a documents folder on another drive (not my startup drive. As it turned out, this alias was not recognizable in OS X for whatever reason. I simply recreated the appropriate alias in OS X finder and all was well. Maybe this is similar to your situation.

Back up all of your most important data just in case. Personally I took the risk and didn't back up anything. And it's worked just fine.

On a second note dual boot works fine. Copy the Startup Disk utility from the Mac OS X cd to your desktop in Mac OS 9. Then if you're in OS 9 use that utility to get back into OS X, and if your in OS X just restart and hold down the option key. Atleast that's what works for me.

You been able to get your Epson 740 working yet....I haven't. If I wnat to print something I have to boot up in OS 9.....really annoying

No I have not yet gotten my Epson printer to work. I'm not expecting to have drivers for it until the final release next year since that is when epson has promised to deliver them. Because of the complications between the BSD layer and X (Mac OS X that is) I don't see any way to get it before then.

My printer works fine in LinuxPPC by the way.

Back