Backing up a drive with CCC

RonaldMacDonald

Registered
I just downloaded CCC (CarbonCopy Clone) and tried it out for the first time. It did not copy over some of the files from my system software. I got some error messages so I just clicked ignore and continued. So I guess it doesn't work that well !?!

I have a bootable external disk and want to clone my files from the internal disk to my LaCie external drive. In case anything happens to the inetrnal disk, I want to be able to boot from the external and restore my files in one sweep. So I guess I won't be able to do this???

I notice also that CCC created some new folders which it named "etc," "tmp," and "var." Tmp is an empty folder and the other two have some weird looking files.

If I check the Synchronization checkbox in Preferences, when I make a clone the second time, will it just copy the files that have changed and save me time?

One thing that really concerns me is the "Scheduler." If I do not have the external drive hooked up, what will happen if there is a scheduled back-up? Is there a way to NOT have scheduled back-ups?

Many thanks!

Ron

Don't know what happened in your case but it has worked flawlessly for me. You have to turn Schedular on in order for it to work. It is off by default.

I used to get those errors but make sure and check repair permission before cloning and make bootable and you should be fine. I used this last night to clone my cube drive over so I could boot my pb 12 from the firewire drive.

read the instructions that came with it. they will give you full details of what you need to set in order to make a bootable copy. it is not preset to do so.

Back