Backing up before clean install of 10.2??

Delpezd

Registered
Is it better to do a clean install of 10.2 instead of archive/install? I don't know what to backup from 10.1.5 to bring my programs, preferences, and files over to X.2. Anyone have any suggestions? I also have a second question - I read in a previous post about deleting 9.2, since I haven't used it in a year, is it as simple as deleting the Applications (Mac OS 9), Desktop (Mac OS 9), and the OS 9 System Folders from the Macintosh HD folder? Thanks for all the great advice!

for the second question, yes
you also might delete the "documents" folder also, if you don't want that.

When I try to delete the Desktop (Mac OS 9) folder I get a cannot delete because it is owned by root. The system folder won't delete because it says it is needed by the system. Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks again

I tried BatChmod and it worked on one folder but not the desktop and system folders. I actually lost Appleworks, but I re-downloaded that so no big deal. I'm going to leave things as they are and maybe do a clean install with X.2. Thanks for your help xaqintosh. Any suggestions for what to back up in X.1.5 to prepare for X.2?

your user folder and your Library folder, thats what i did when I backed up (not for jaguar though, I just was repartitioning)

your address book

make sure you export you addresses as Vcards, otherwise 10.2 wont recognise them. You dont have to worry about this unless you erase your drive before installing 10.2. It says it will automatically import them if you leave your disk as is. No word from apple if you do back up your stuff and erase your disk. Ho hum...

you probably want to keep you explorer prefs (if you use it), just copy the explorer folder in your prefs folder. Other apps just incase you cant bear resetting all the settings (appleworks for instance and button bars)

Good luck, Instally dosent take long.. 25 mins for the system,+ 10 to 15 for the extra applications . excellent.

Back