Backing Up my ibook

tobes

Registered
Hey all,

Im about to embark on a semester of exchage in Canada, which needless to say is a long way from where I live (Sydney).

I have an iBook with a combo drive running 10.3.4 and access to a new powerbook with a superdrive. I would like to make a complete back up of my computer onto DVD so I restore should I have any problems while I am away.

How would I do this so I can restore off the DVD's? If I can do this I dont need to carry all my other software CD's etc and I can save some space.

tobes

Do you have a .Mac account? If so, you could simply use the application "backup" which is free for .Mac users.
If you don't have a .Mac membership, you could simply copy your whole home-directory onto the DVD. Make sure to backup certain applications in the /Applications folder, if you don'T have a CD or DVD copy of it.

As usual, Zammy-Sam has a good idea. I can think of any number of reasons why having a .Mac account would be valuable in your particular circumstances. You could even lease some more disk space on .Mac and do your backups there. It is one of those things whose true value is hard to realize unless you actually have it and use it.

Firewire the two computers together. Put the iBook into Target Disk mode, Use the PowerBook to access the files on the iBook. Use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy the HDD of the iBook or some other software like SuperDuper.

Back