Backing up system files to DVD

hazmat

Rusher of Din
Should I be able to back up /System and such to a DVD logged in as my regular use with admin rights? I have tried many times and always get errors. First it was a cryptic error that I finally realized was that I didn't have read permissions on some files. Then after repairing permissions it would say something about not finding all the files. If I log into the GUI as root, it burns fine. Something must be wrong here, no? This happened in 10.2.8 and 10.3.

You mean the entire system or select files? I have no problems with select files onto a regular CD-R. As far as the whole system, I would use Carbon Copy and and make a disc image of the entire system, then burn that image to a DVD. I haven't tried Carbon Copy, but I have burned plenty of DVDs with Toast, and i prefer the Data mode, it will still work.

I mean the entire /System directory. This was when I wanted to back up the whole thing before doing the 10.3 upgrade, and another time so I could wipe the archive install's /Previous Systems directory off the hard drive and just have it on a DVD. I did it in Toast's DVD data mode.

Back