backlit keyboard--15" powerbook

blick

Registered
My backlit keyboard on my 15" pb has a mind of its own!

sometimes it is fine, lets me use f8, 9 and 10 to adjust the lightness settings etc. But then suddenly it wount work and when i press f8 f9 or f10...a darkened icon of the brightness icon appears with a circle and cross through it (like a no smoking sign).

It does it whether it is plugged in to the mains and on any power saving setting!!!

any ideas? its sooooo annoying!

thanks

Hi Blick

Has it done this always? If not, could you point where it started..? After some system or security updates or something else installed perhaps?

I suspect there's nothing wrong with your backlight. I'm assuming that there're fluctuating light conditions in the room where you use the PowerBook. I've experienced this a few times, when I wake the computer and the room is moderately dark, the keyboard lights up. If I then turn/tilt the PowerBook towards a stronger source of light (like a window) for a moment, the keyboard backlight goes off and after that it may or may not light up. If the room is completely dark, the backlight and its controls work consistently.

Mine does the same thing. The sensory must be on the side (Speaker vents) occasionally my hand will cover the sensory and the backlight either gets dimmer or turns off.

Back