backup software query

elinash7

Registered
First, I apologize if this thread is a repeat of any previous conversation- to my knowledge, it hasn't occurred yet. Please forward any conversations you think are appropriate. :cool:

I am using a Lacie drive for backup and am trying to find a software function to backup and NOT erase files. I want my external drive to contain stored files that I don't currently need to access as well as a backup of my HD. I have used Silverkeeper a number of times, manually creating sets. The backup function on Silverkeeper and Lacie's "one-click backup" software erase files on the destination that have been erased from the source, whereas I would like for them to remain on the destination so that I can relieve space on my HD. I have just become aware of Super Duper, and haven't studied all of its functions yet, but it seems that it does the same thing.

Simply put, my question is: are there any software programs for backup that perform backups without erasing?

Thanks,
Nash

I use rdiff-backup. It creates delta of the backup, so you can restore the
situation as it once was. I do not know if there is any GUI for it; I use a
script I have made (mainly it checks that my LaCie is mounted) to take
backups.

update- I figured out what I was doing wrong. In Silverkeeper you have to select "never remove files" in the options tab of each Set you've created.

Back