Backup software recommendations

Rick Stirling

Registered
Coming from the PC world I'm still finding my OSX feet. Anyway, I do like to periodically backup my data and email. Sometimes this is as simple burning a CD or DVD, but I wondered if there were any other solutions out there?

There are 2 users on my Mac, so I want to back up both uses information without it getting combined.

I liked Windows XP file and settings wizard, where I could backup both our email and interface settings and burn to disk. Is their anything similar to this on the mac?

Also, I have my own webspace, with its own email. Thereforce I don't want to shell out for the .Mac experience as its inferior to my current package (2GB space, 50GB monthly transfer, unlimited email addresses etc). However .Mac does have that very nice backup feature built in. Does anyone know if it is possible to run a thirdparty system to perform online backups?

It's not free but I have started using Retrospect Desktop with a dedicated hard drive. Using DVDs, I found that I was not backing up the important stuff on my system, mainly due to my own laziness:) Get a dedicated hd for backups and set it to backup during the night. It's very effective and gives piece of mind. It can do archives, incremental backups and also back up a laptop or different computer in the house. It supports windows os x and linux. I never tried a tape, maybe someone else can speak about those.

Rick Stirling said:
but I wondered if there were any other solutions out there?

There are 2 users on my Mac, so I want to back up both uses information without it getting combined.

You could deal with many issues by buying a bootable FireWire external. Most importantly, you could deal with disaster recovery, backup, and keeping users separate by cloning your internal to a FireWire external. You would end up with a bootable clone that could be cloned back to your internal for disaster recovery. The LaCie FireWires, for example, come with Silverlining backup software. And, there are other apps that cover the same ground extremely well--e.g. Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC). Personally, my recommendation is to clone using Disk Utility and then use backup software (e.g., Silverlining). Disk Utility is very simple to use and works very well. The LaCie Porche design FireWire 250 GBs offer much bang for the buck.

Thanks folks, thats exactly the kind of stuff I was after. I've looked into Retrospect and it sounds like a great package - and cost effective too (of course anything that prevents data loss is cost effective).

Since the PC and Mac are networked, I was thinking of doing backups to the PCs secondary harddisk. I do have an external Wolverine drive, but its USB and too slow to make it worthwhile. A firewire might be a good investment, since I can get 150-200 Gigs for around £100.

ChronoSync is what I use. Works great, simple to use an inexpensive, and has excellent reviews.

Product Description:
ChronoSync easily synchronizes or backs-up files and folders in a variety of ways. Synchronize files between folders, hard drives, removable media, laptops, file servers, or any computer, not just a Macintosh.

My current back up hard disk is an internal model, I've been looking at an external Lacie 500GB model but as a former G4 'Windtunnel" owner the last thing I want is noise. Can anybody tell me if they are noisy/quiet/tolerable? Any info appreciated!

lilbandit said:
My current back up hard disk is an internal model, I've been looking at an external Lacie 500GB model but as a former G4 'Windtunnel" owner the last thing I want is noise. Can anybody tell me if they are noisy/quiet/tolerable? Any info appreciated!

The LaCie 500GB has no noise that I can hear.

Rick Stirling said:
Thanks folks, thats exactly the kind of stuff I was after. I've looked into Retrospect and it sounds like a great package - and cost effective too (of course anything that prevents data loss is cost effective).

Since the PC and Mac are networked, I was thinking of doing backups to the PCs secondary harddisk. I do have an external Wolverine drive, but its USB and too slow to make it worthwhile. A firewire might be a good investment, since I can get 150-200 Gigs for around £100.

You are welcome. Actually, the LaCie backup software for OS X is SilverKeeper. Silverlining is for older OSs. I have heard good things about it, but have not used it because I do so much cloning and don't add many files to my iBook.

I think that Retrospect Desktop and Express are not yet compatible with Tiger but soon will be. Carbon Cloner is not compatible but people are hoping the developer will modify it. I have used SilverLiner but oddly it did not clone all important files. Finally, I have heard that the LaCie Porshe Design hard drives had had problems.

Just my two cents, could be wrong.

I've just picked up psync, or to me more precise, psyncX (since its been a few years since I used Unix on a daily basis). It's a stunning little program.

I'm think I'm due another San Andreas bonus at the end of this month, so I'm upping the mini mac ram to a gig and getting an external firewire drive.

Durbrow said:
I think that Retrospect Desktop and Express are not yet compatible with Tiger but soon will be.

I used Retrospect Desktop (v 6.5 or something) under Panther and I survived the transition brilliantly. It works under Tiger for me.

Back