Backup software.

Reality

Registered
Hey everyone. :) I got a bit of a question for ya. I got some Mac/PC software thats starting to show its ware. (I wish Ram disks were a standard in the industry) So I wanted to ask if there may be a way to create and burn backup copies of my software with "Disk Utilities"?

Now I legally own all my PC software. So I have/own the original disks, product keys, ect. I just need to find a way to back up the original disk to prevent from scratching them up any more.

I tried Toast some but it doesn't work on protected software like games. And games are my main concern as they require you to insert them into your disk drive to play. So from the constant going in and out, to people taking out my games and laying them wherever, they are collecting scratches I wish to stop. So would anyone be able to help?

Nope. If Toast on the Mac can't (illegally!) circumvent a PC game's copy protection, then they're good. Btw.: It's _wrong_ to try and circumvent copy protection, and even _if_ we're talking about PC games here, the board rules still apply!

'So I wanted to ask if there may be a way to create and burn backup copies of my software with "Disk Utilities"? ' - yes.

'I tried Toast some but it doesn't work on protected software like games.' - hmmm, and the names of those games are?

Why are you not using 'Nero' (or equivalent), on the PC, to back up the PC software?

You should use Toast to create a "disk image" -- with the original disk inserted and Toast open, hold COMMAND and press D. Toast will ask you what you want to name the file and where you'd like to save it. It will then create a file (disk image) that contains the content of the disk.

Once you've made the image, you can then double-click on the image file which will result in Toast opening. If you click the burn button, you should be able to burn an exact copy. If you click the "Mount" button, it will mount up on your desktop as though you inserted the disk. For the games I play, I do this all of the time so that I don't have to get my disk out every time I play. It doesn't work with all games, but most. Like Unreal Tournament 2004 and Battlefield 1942, for example.

I would have to argue that it's illegal to make/use a backup copy of the media you purchased -- so long as you don't install it on multiple computers, give the disk to someone else for use, etc. It should be perfectly within your right to backup and protect your media just as it is to import music from CDs onto your computer then play them with out the CD.

Back