Backup Tiger DVD

tinroots

Registered
How do I back up my Tiger 10.4.2 DVD (5.3 GBs) DVD? It [apparently] includes extra bundles; making it larger than the other simply 2.52 GB DVDs. I'm a serious klutz and am extremely uncomfortable with only the original copy. I just bought my ibook (superdrive) + applecare - so I can't imagine I would have trouble about authenticating my purchase.
Any ideas on how to make a boot-able disk image of only partial contents of the DVD? Thanks!

'making it larger than the other simply 2.52 GB DVDs. ', ???; a blank DVD-R disc can store up to 4.39 GB, not 2.52 GB.

'... extremely uncomfortable with only the original copy', a very good reason; and, why many make copies.

'Any ideas on how to make a boot-able disk image of only partial contents of the DVD?', you cannot. What you can do is copy the original DVD as a '.dmg' (image) file - as 'read-only', then burn the image to a blank (4.7 GB) DVD-R disc - all with 'Disk Utility' ('/Applications/Utilities/').

Disk Utility actually has the option of storing it as a DVD-Master file, too. Which I feel 'safer' with for some reason. But I guess it shouldn't really matter.

Question remains whether it's _really_ 5.2 GB that have to be burnt to the DVD-R, which wouldn't be possible unless it's a double layer disk. My guess, though, is that it's just the file system reporting this much space and that the disk image will actually be smaller.

fryke said:
Question remains whether it's _really_ 5.2 GB that have to be burnt to the DVD-R, which wouldn't be possible unless it's a double layer disk. My guess, though, is that it's just the file system reporting this much space and that the disk image will actually be smaller.

I absolutely agree withyou, there's probably a lot on there I don't need --
but I've done at least three different kinds of disk images -- and yes some as the master (they were recommended) -- but they all come up as 5, 5.2, 5.3 GBs. So... I don't know what to do.

Making a DVD Image

Step 1. Insert the retail Mac OS X Install DVD into your drive.

Step 2. Launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities).

Step 3. In Disk Utility, you will notice a white pane on the left hand side. In the pane, select the Mac OS X Install DVD by clicking on it once.

Step 4. Click New Image on the Disk Utility toolbar.

Step 5. A dialog box will appear. Give the new image a name. I used 'Mac OS X Install DVD'. Select the destination where you wish to save it. Leave Image Format at Compressed (default) and Encryption at None (default).

Step 6. Click Save to begin creating the image.

Step 7. Once your image has been created DO NOT mount it. Leave the image alone and proceed to the next section.

Burning the Image

Step 1. Launch Disk Utility (Applications > Utilities).

Step 2. Click Burn on the Disk Utility toolbar (upper left).

Step 3. Navigate to where you saved the DVD image created in the previous section. Click on the image file, then click the Burn button. Do not drag and drop the image file into Disk Utility during this step.

Step5. Insert a DVD when prompted and proceed to Burn it. (use good quality media)

but the image is over 5GB, so it won't burn on my 4.7 GB dvd-r's. I need to find a bootable Tiger that's under 5GB, some how?? that seems ridiculous that I can't use the one that came with my computer!

Back