backup to a linux fileserver?

Zammy-Sam

Desertchild
I would like to backup my whole macosx 10.2.6 so I can reinstall the system.
The problem: using apples backup allows me to choose a volume. I have a 500gb linux fileserver around, but when I tried, I got file-errors. Some files have a too long name and can't be copied. How can I skip or fix this? Or do I have to rename them one by one? And which folders beside my user-folder should I backup? Any system Libraries? I think I had some read-errors on some of those folders as well...

thanks for help

*scratches head* Exactly which forum should this have been posted to?

Or was this moved from another forum?

Originally posted by bobw
fileserver = Network Forum

My questions still remain since this was in the network forum when I posted them...

zammy-sam: How are you mounting? Via CIFS or NFS? Or something else?

I believe SAMBA on Linux may allow for some masking of filename length issues? Or am I thinking of something else entirely?

(edit: So I was corrected - though it's impossible to be sure since there's no "moved" message in the Howto forum)

Oops! :D
Well, while you guys complained about my posting, I found out it's an appletalk-issue. Using smb allows me to transfer long filenames as well.

Ok, I think the reason I thought of taking the Howto section was, that half of my question was refering to general backup and not directly to some kind of transfer between linux-boxes and macs...

The How To Forum is ONLY for Solutions. How To's actually describing how to do something or repair a problem.

Back