Backups with External Firewire Hard Drive

yamsmac

Registered
Hey everyone. Im recently converted from windoze and love the Mac OS. Once you go Mac you never go back, right? :D I know my way around it pretty well already, but have some backup questions. I have a Mac Mini and am recieiving a Maxtor 250 GB Firewire external hard drive today. Since I recently got rid of my server in my house, I want to use this drive for all of my backups. I would like to create images (or a replica of the drive would be fine) of the system drive and also perform weekly backups of my data in my home folder. I would like to partition the external hard drive so that there is one 80GB partition for placing a replica of the system drive onto (performed every two weeks or so) and the rest of the drive will be for weekly archives/backups of my data in the home folders and also for storage of my other files.

Is it possible to place a replica of the system drive on that 80 GB partition and boot to it in the case of a drive error? What software should I use to partition the drive? What software should I use to place a copy of the drive on the 80GB partition and also to backup the home folders every now and then?

Thanks for your help!

-Rob

once you have the OS on your external HD either choose it from system pref>startup disk or try pressing the <option> key during the boot / reboot process.
If a volume (internal, external, or removable) has a bootable system, it will be included in the list displayed. Once the scan process is completed, and the cursor becomes an arrow, select the desired volume and then click on the '-->' button.

a lot more on this kind of topic with the search feature check this :)

Back