Backups

jxself

Registered
As I plot out the course I'll take to move the machines here on the LAN to OS X, one question is "How will they be backed up?"

Presently all machines are backed up to a central location using Retrospect. (The client software is installed on all machines.)

Does anyone know of a way to back up OS X using a currently-available Carbon or Cocoa app? Retrospect won't run, although Dantz says that a new version is "in the works."

I'd even consider messaing with the UNIX command prompt so long as it can be automated to happen at specified times.

I'd like to continue backing up to a central location, either by mounting a volume with AppleShare, NFS, FTP, etc. I'm open to all suggestions.

I think you can use "cron" UNIX feature to automate a Backup script (AppleScripted).
There is a software called "cronix" that gives a GUI to the cron daemon... I have never used it neither cron, but it should be able to automate all your network backup...

I have to mention that the cron daemon is able to do specific tasks at specified time intervals... So it is good for scheduling a Backup task...

Do you know where I can find a copy of cronix? I've searched the postings here at macosx.com for any discussion on it. Sherlock wasn't able to find anything about a software program by that name.

Originally posted by hELLO wORLD
I think you can use "cron" UNIX feature to automate a Backup script (AppleScripted).
There is a software called "cronix" that gives a GUI to the cron daemon... I have never used it neither cron, but it should be able to automate all your network backup...

I have to mention that the cron daemon is able to do specific tasks at specified time intervals... So it is good for scheduling a Backup task...

BTW don't use tar for backup, it won't back up Finder flags and resource forks.

Buy a second hard drive instead, it's a lot faster and can serve as an emergency drive.

Back