Bad news & CRT evils?

Hypernate

McGeek
Well th ebad news (for anyone who cares, so I'm guessing very few ;) ) is that it looks like I won't be getting a replacemtn mac for a very long time, as my parental units won't give me permission to FlexiRent a new one, because "You have a perfectly good iMac upstairs" (which is not useful because with 3 hours of homework a night, plus PhotoShop ANDgraphic design, I'd be permanetly attached to this thing, and the rest of the family have to use it, AND I am not allowed to use internet at home durin gthe school week, meaning they'd be watching over me the whole time ::ha::

Anyway, now to a topic that is related to this forum, and that is more interesting than my life...

If I can break the laws of physics and convince my dad to loan me money to buy a PowerMac (Heck, I'd settle for an eMac but want heavy photshop and iMovie), would it be EVILof me to connect it to an old 15" CRT until I can afford to buy a flat screen? Or bigger monitor? We have a 15" CRT here. Or I could possibly conect it to the screen on my iMac.... but no....

(EDIT: I forgot to say that I doubt VERYMUCHthat I can borrow money to buy a computer because my parents bought me an AU$20000 car a few months ago!)

Umm, thanks for any help (or suggestions)

Originally posted by Hypernate
Well th ebad news (for anyone who cares, so I'm guessing very few ;) ) is that it looks like I won't be getting a replacemtn mac for a very long time, as my parental units won't give me permission to FlexiRent a new one, because "You have a perfectly good iMac upstairs" (which is not useful because with 3 hours of homework a night, plus PhotoShop ANDgraphic design, I'd be permanetly attached to this thing, and the rest of the family have to use it, AND I am not allowed to use internet at home durin gthe school week, meaning they'd be watching over me the whole time ::ha::
Wow, poor you.
Anyway, now to a topic that is related to this forum, and that is more interesting than my life...

If I can break the laws of physics and convince my dad to loan me money to buy a PowerMac (Heck, I'd settle for an eMac but want heavy photshop and iMovie), would it be EVILof me to connect it to an old 15" CRT until I can afford to buy a flat screen? Or bigger monitor? We have a 15" CRT here. Or I could possibly conect it to the screen on my iMac.... but no....

(EDIT: I forgot to say that I doubt VERYMUCHthat I can borrow money to buy a computer because my parents bought me an AU$20000 car a few months ago!)

Umm, thanks for any help (or suggestions)
Whether or not it would be evil of you is entirely between you and your preacher/minister/rabbi/sheik/etc. However, it is, of course, entirely possible to connect such a monitor to a new-ish Mac. All you'd need is a DVI-to-VGA or ADC-to-VGA adaptor.

And an eMac would be fine for heavy PS and iM, provided you have lots of RAM.

Here's the solution, sell the AU$20,000 car, buy yourself a perfectly decent AU$10,000 car (who needs a new car they only haemhorrage(sp?) money in depreciation anyway) and you've got yerself 10k to get some decent kit.

Sounds like you have good parents. Listen to them and save your own money for a new Mac.

Originally posted by niallerc
Here's the solution, sell the AU$20,000 car, buy yourself a perfectly decent AU$10,000 car (who needs a new car they only haemhorrage(sp?) money in depreciation anyway) and you've got yerself 10k to get some decent kit.

No.
a)I really like that car
and
b)My parents would (literally) kick me out of home for being 'ungrateful'

Besides, the car isn't in my name, so I can't sell it. Why would I sell it two months after buying it if I want to avoid serious depreciation? That's kinda stupid really, because if it cost $25000 (that's including taxes, registration, etc) I'd only be able to sell it for $17000 MAX. That's $8000 already. And that's with only 1700km on the Odometer. Besides, I didn't ask my parents to buy me the car, so I'm not constantly asking for things.

But I see your point, and I'm aware that a new car is a luxury, of which I'm grateful for (even if american teen movies tell us we are all supposed to get luxury SUVs when we are in high school ;))

and bobw - I actually DO want to save the money myself. I hate being in debt, BUT my concern is that I now don't have a computer to do my homework on, or my Photoshop work for my assignments, and to build my portfolio to get into Uni.

On my McDonald's pay, it would take me about a year of saving EVERY cent I earn to buy the PowerMac.

I still have a year and a term of high school.

I guess I'll have to look at the eMac, but when I add extra ram it ends up costin gtoo much anyway.

Geez, man, tell your parents the reasons why you need a new computer for yourself: The iMac is always in use, it's too slow for your needs, you need to work on your HW and your technical skills, etc. I didn't even have to ask for my iMac, my dad bought it for me from a teacher friend of his, much to my suprise... and I'm quite glad he did, though I still need to wire it.

See if they'll get you a good, 600+ Mhz used Powermac for cheap. And using a 15" CRT, while not ideal, is fine ethically, morally, and even technically.

It sounds like you may have had trouble previously - going on the internet and not doing your homework.
Without going into a parental speech, you have to make some concessions.
A talk with your parents explaining why you need a 600 + mhz machine for yourself is in order. To be prepared, write down all the facts/reasons. Be partial and do a pros and cons list so you are prepared for their arguments.
You have to make concessions and tell them you will follow through. You will not connect the new machine to the internet. You will do your work and no playing games. Show that you are serious and not trying to put one over them.
If you really need two monitors, you can with a DVI -to-VGA or ADC-to-VGA adaptor depending on the machine you get. And you can get a refurbished machine that will not cost an arm and a leg.

I think the time for discussing this with your parents was when they were deciding on buying you a car. Rather than having your mind set on this, you should have discussed the computer then, before they bought the car, since it seems so important for your school work, designing, etc. They could have bought the computer for you and a cheaper car.

In High school, your parents buying you a vehicle like this, you should be kissing their feet daily.

Originally posted by bobw
I think the time for discussing this with your parents was when they were deciding on buying you a car. Rather than having your mind set on this, you should have discussed the computer then, before they bought the car, since it seems so important for your school work, designing, etc. They could have bought the computer for you and a cheaper car.

In High school, your parents buying you a vehicle like this, you should be kissing their feet daily.

There were no discussions about buying this car (A Honda Jazz, just to say), as I was planning to buy my own car, and one way when I was out with friends they called me to say that they'd bought it.

At this time, I didn't realise

a) My iMac would die

b) that I would be doing serious Photoshop work.

Besides, they wouldn't have bought me a compute and a cheaper car anyway, because they honestly don't think I need a better than 333mHz one.

as I was planning to buy my own car

Now that you're not buying your own car, you should be able to buy your own computer. A lot less than a car costs.

Originally posted by bobw
as I was planning to buy my own car

Now that you're not buying your own car, you should be able to buy your own computer. A lot less than a car costs.

I agree completely. I was going to be buying it and paying for it by the month though, as I would be happy to do with a computer, but as yet I can't find a loan that I can apply for without my parents acting as garantors.

I will be moving out of home in a year, and need to have to pay rent too, but hopefully I'd have payed off most of the loan by then. Which is another reason I'd like to buy it sooner rather than later.

Then it sounds like you're back to my and Cheryl's suggestions.

So if you sell the car you'll seem ungrateful? Well, tell them you love the car (what kind is it, BTW?), but you need a new computer right now and you can't do your work without it, get good grades, get into a good technical school, etc. and you will be fine in an older, less expensive car.

Originally posted by arden
Then it sounds like you're back to my and Cheryl's suggestions.

So if you sell the car you'll seem ungrateful? Well, tell them you love the car (what kind is it, BTW?), but you need a new computer right now and you can't do your work without it, get good grades, get into a good technical school, etc. and you will be fine in an older, less expensive car.

I think I said in post earlier it's a Honda Jazz. But I don't want to sell it! Apart from the fact I can't sell it, as it's not actually mine yet, I really like it, and it's not like I'm going to have the chance of having a new car for a very long time.

The other thing is if I replaced it with an older car, I'd end up paying a lot more for petrol, because this car is Australia's most fuel efficient car. And fuel prices here are VERY unpredictable, and it would make a huge difference.

At the moment I'm just saving money, and hoping I can get a loan from somewhere.

I've also tried selling my bass guitar w/ amp etc. but nobody wants to buy it, so that doesn't help.

(another comment about the depreciation in car prices) Sure, I'll admit that a new car loses HEAPS of money on resale, but say I sold it now, I'd lose at least Au$8000 (including taxes i've paid), I'd then have to pay GST and stamp duty and registration on the replacement car, AND THEN, the depreciation on th ecomputer would be even worse. So that's not really an arguement.

Basically, I think my only option is to just keep saving, and hope I can get enough to buy something decent before I have to start seriously building my portfolio to get into University.

Well, good luck with that, then. Hope you enjoy your car.

Is it a stick shift? Probably not...

Just about everything has those hidden costs. It sounds like you are on the right track. Stick to it. ::angel::

arden said:
Well, good luck with that, then. Hope you enjoy your car.

Is it a stick shift? Probably not...

Thanks, I'm sure I will..

It sure is a stick shift. :D

(As an Australian, I woul dhave had NO idea what a stick shift is if I hadn't had an American friend telling me about it for 45 minutes a while ago! We jsut call them manuals here.!)

Manual tranny, standard tranny, stick shift... it's all the same, a lot more fun than an automatic with only one lever and one pedal!

arden said:
Manual tranny, standard tranny, stick shift... it's all the same, a lot more fun than an automatic with only one lever and one pedal!

I should hope that American autos have 2 pedals ;) Brakes are usual;ly a good idea ;)

Yeah, you can't do burnouts with an auto... and it's always impressive to have the smoke coming from the front, not the back (though getting a front driver to burn out can be damn hard.)

Where did this stop being a computer forum, and become a car one ;)

I think it was my fault.

(I don't do burnouts) :p

I forget, somewhere up in there... I did make a thread about cars a while back, but it died off it seems.

And yes, my car has 3 pedals. I meant that with only one pedal and one lever, you can add a lot of fun to a car.

arden said:
I forget, somewhere up in there... I did make a thread about cars a while back, but it died off it seems.

And yes, my car has 3 pedals. I meant that with only one pedal and one lever, you can add a lot of fun to a car.

What kind do you have?

Back