Bad news for those awaiting an iPod update..

Dime5150

Registered
from macosrumors.com. I'm sure they won't be releasing the iPods until the new service is out there. I'm going to just get one now. I'm sick of waiting for nothing...

"We may be waiting for Apple's music download service until the release of Panther, because it may not be directly tied to iTunes as previously thought -- but rather, part of a larger Apple direct-sales initiative implemented within the OS itself! This would not only allow Mac OS X users to buy and immediately download music from Apple, but it would also include software sales in the initial release and could later expand to movies/television, streaming content, and virtually any other form of commercial data!"

www.macosrumors.com for details.

Oh goodie... another giant whohaa parading the the new stuff. And then the expectation of praise for Apple. Release the stuff and leave it. Don't make it a "Look at what we have done for you, minions! Now go and buy and do not complain!" Why wait to release products? Marketing is a BS answer. Marketing is the shoveling of veral and visual crap to the world just to get people to buy things. Apple need to start a lowkey approach. I get sick of the pomp and ceremony of every stinkin' release.

banjo - > huh?

two things. the new ipod is probably tied to this new service in such a way that it really doesnt make sense to release it without the service. sort of a thing about people not being all that wild about paying extra for services that they cant or wont use.

if you are sick of waiting, just go buy one now. i doubt that you are just disappointed with the current ipod. no. you are waiting for the unknown. you dont even know what you are waiting for. and no one is making you wait. just go buy one and make yourself happy.

Originally posted by cf25
banjo - > huh?

I get that a lot.

Originally posted by cf25 the new ipod is probably tied to this new service in such a way that it really doesnt make sense to release it without the service. sort of a thing about people not being all that wild about paying extra for services that they cant or wont use.

Why would you tie a product to a service so that it could only be released together!?! OH GOODIE! NEW IPOD! And LOOKIE $1 SONGS! YEAH! How does the music program have to dictate when the iPod comes out? How come any service has to dictate when a product come out? I see it as silly and just a huge "Look at the Great and Powerful Apple giving us their bounty!" glory session. I could give a rat's a** about the buck a song program. They will never have any of the songs I want. I would like to see a 40G iPod or Ultra Pod (whatever that could be). Give me a product that most can use, not a service some will use.

you are right about the service junk. thats what it will be. junk. but deep down i dont think that they expect it to be anything great. given what we know about it (which is very little) it might not even be what we are expecting.

concerning the ipods though, i think they are probably holding them back because they arent ready yet. yeah they like the shows, but thats part of what makes apple, apple.

they still believe that you dont have to make every product under the sun. they just make a few products well. so when they release a product they want people to know about it.

Anyone want to buy my new invention? It's called the holographic projector. You can get it for $300 so it's a deal. All you that don't care about the service that provides content to it should be interested since that wont be available for some time now...

This board makes me so cynical. Of course devices are based on services, that's how it works. What's the point in buying an iPod simply because it has 40gig of space? It's ONLY so you can brag you have a bigger 'pod (freudian imagry implied).

Give me a product that most can use, not a service some will use.
I'd rather have a service most will use than a product some can use.

I'm happy with my 10-gig iPod. No need to upgrade to the 20 yet, much less spending a bunch of $$ for a 40-gig. But I would consider spending $20 a month (less than 2 CDs) for 20 songs I'm interested in. Then maybe at the end of the year, I might need a new iPod.

And a good way to avoid the hype, if it bothers you, is to ignore it.

Well I want an iPod. But if I buy the 10gig one right now apple will screw me because I know they will lower the price. So i'm not going to buy one now. So I guess when they come out maybe I will still want one. Well maybe not. Oh well.

Why are they even thinking about releasing a 40 gig iPod? That size is way to much for music. There is no real reason to have a 40gig iPod. Like you say. Its just for envy. But i'd just laugh because it will be like 600 bucks and people will buy it.

Just got this e-mail. While it could just be Apple's spring housecleaning, I wonder if it might have something to do with the upcoming music service. It would make sense if the service used 1-click buying and also to meld it for ease for .mac users. Or am I on the wrong path...

Dear Apple Customer,

On April 10, 2003, Apple will be making some changes to its customer account system. Apple will unify login information across Apple ID and .Mac accounts.

According to our records, you have both a .Mac account and an Apple ID with the name 'xxxxxx@mac.com'. (You have established an Apple ID if you have made a 1-Click purchase through iPhoto, purchased items from the Apple Store, or used the Apple Support site.)

Since your account names (User IDs) for your Apple ID and .Mac are the same, you will still use that account name. However, as of April 10, your .Mac password will become your Apple ID password and your old Apple ID password will no longer work.

Additionally, if your .Mac account included your billing information and your Apple ID did not, your 1-Click accounts are now populated with your .Mac billing information. If you'd prefer not to use the same billing information for .Mac and your Apple ID account, you can visit the Apple Store or iPhoto and change your 1-Click billing information at any time.

"New iPod updates? Sure i can tell you about those. What do you want to know?"

Tomorrow, they always release things tomorrow. :D

i was reading news week and saw the tablet pc made by compaq. Not bad.
I would like to see it as the iPod is now, transfer via firewire.
But instead you could draw and write and transfer drawings to Photoshop(or some other app) and notes to TextEdit and Appleworks(ditto)
That way you could still use your mac at home rather than look over your shoulder everytime you leave the class room or work desk.

It would have a cd-rom so you could load those programs of course.

Just a thought. continue on please.

If Apple was going to do that, they might as well go and make a pda that can actually do some work. Apple should eventually migrate current iBook owners to the PowerBook or desktop Macs, then come out with an iBook model that looks more a book to rival (and surpass) the Tablet PC.

No, Apple shouldn't move iBook owners away from the iBook. The iBook has been incredibly successful so far. The tablet would have to extend the user base. Aimed more at desktoppers than notebookers, I guess, as a second device. (If Apple can't win more wintellers, it sells the mac users more devices instead...)

The iBook has been incredibly successful so far
So far. Don't get me wrong, I think the iBooks are great. Have two of them in fact, the graphite clamshell and a snow. But look at the original iMacs, those were hugely successful, but now they're gone.
I'm not suggesting it happen right now, but it seems to me that there would be a market for someone who needs a second, more portable machine that offers more than a pda.
I suggested the iBook name since a tablet Mac could look like a larger coffee-table book.
I dunno, but I would think that a tablet Mac with voice and handwriting recognition packed with Safari, iTunes, iCal and iLife would be cutting edge in design and attract those wanting a second or third (very portable computer) or those wanting an inexpensive, low-frills computer than gives them what they want for a decent price.
I realize this is far and away form the iPod talk, but Apple did quite well with the original iMacs in luring switchers and newbies over and something will need to be done in the future to attract new buyers while satisfying those already in the fold.
And iPod2 might attract attention, but with the melding of devices such as high-end pdas and cellphones, there's going to be a market, imho, for the next level.

Well a tablet Mac would not be the iPodII...

That being said, I think that such a computer might find its way into my possession were Apple to introduce it. As an inveterate desktop user I could never see myself buying or using a laptop (just not my cup of tea). But for the purposes of portability and having a machine which was subserviant to my desktop I think a tablet Mac would be quite useful.

My wife, on the other hand, would have little use for a tablet because her TiBook does very well for her and she is unlikely to ever go back to a desktop computer.

Originally posted by Dime5150
Well I want an iPod. But if I buy the 10gig one right now apple will screw me because I know they will lower the price. So i'm not going to buy one now. So I guess when they come out maybe I will still want one. Well maybe not. Oh well.
No, Apple will not "screw you" if you buy one now and lower the prices immediately after. You would have considered the 10 GB model worth the price, bought it, and be perfectly happy with a quality product.

Why are they even thinking about releasing a 40 gig iPod? That size is way to much for music. There is no real reason to have a 40gig iPod. Like you say. Its just for envy. But i'd just laugh because it will be like 600 bucks and people will buy it.
How can you talk like this? Some people have huge music collections. I know of one guy who bought a 120 GB hard drive just so he could store all his CDs on his computer as MP3s. It is terribly convenient to have every song you own in the palm of your hand.

Originally posted by Koelling
This board makes me so cynical. Of course devices are based on services, that's how it works. What's the point in buying an iPod simply because it has 40gig of space? It's ONLY so you can brag you have a bigger 'pod (freudian imagry implied).

Koelling, I am not sure if you mean services or features or use the words interchangeably. One thing I want for an iPod is features that are included in the iPod.

I don't care about musical offerings by Apple because if I want music, I'll go out and buy a CD before I will pay $1.00 for a song. That pricing model only makes sense if you feel CD's are appropriately priced, which they are not. They are incredibly over-priced. That is why consumers have been staying away from stores like Wherehouse, Tower or Best Buy. People are tired of paying $15-20.00 for a CD.

There are some great features I would like to see in an iPod. For instance, the ability to record live performances or meetings. A friend of mine is buying a new MP3 player. He's not buying an iPod because the feature list is becoming a bit dated. His MiniDisc just failed and he was thinking that instead of getting a new one, why not get something that can store MP3's and work as a recorder as well?

The device he was talking about (I forget the name) allows you to record music or in his case, performances. The sound quality is better than or equal to MiniDisc. Unlike MiniDisc, he will be able to immediately download the files and edit them on his PC. A restriction that greatly disables the usefulness of MiniDisc.

A market for a decent recorder/player would be huge. Everyone who has a MiniDisc and a recent computer would have a wonderful way of making recordings and editing them. Every band, comic, lecturer, student, author, reporter and others would have the ability to record into a digital format. How cool would that be?

Back