? Bang for the buck NAS RAID ?

videoflyer

Registered
I'm looking for advice/recommendations for inexpensive NAS RAID units because I have absolutely no experience with them.

I've been wanting to add one to my network for a while now but the costs (for RAID-5 capable units, particularly) have been pretty far north of what I can afford at this point in time. But I see a really good deal is currently available for a Buffalo Linkstation Quad 1TB so I've been trying to decide if should jump on that.

Do any of your experienced folks here have any recommendations for inexpensive (all relative, I know) NAS RAIDs for a home network? In addition to file backup/access, I'd be using it to store all our music/video/podcast files so we can get them off our hard drives and hopefully stream them over the internet. It looks like the Buffalo does what I'd want it to do but it gets dinged in all the reviews for subpar performance...though I have no idea whether or not that would be an issue when it comes to streaming video. I'm not looking to EDIT video or render animations off it, after all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Back