Base Station vs alt's?

dne

Registered
I have a dual G4 877 sitting in my apartment, but I'm rarely here. Consequently I've decided to get a new G4 laptop.

My question:
Is getting a base station is worth the added cost over another wireless router?
OR, would it be better to get my tower hooked up with an airport card?

Thanks in advance.

I use a Belkin Wireless router/broadband modem with my laptops. It works great and it supports Airport and Airport Extreme. Cost about half the price of an Airport Extreme base station.

I use a Netgear 814 wireless, with one PB wireless, two Macs and an PC wired. No problems. Think I paid about $35.00 new from a Dealmac.com add.

I Have a g4 powerbook i use at my office and at home, both on wireless networks. Linksys & Belkin. Both work just fine with my airport card in the g4 powerbook. And also with all my other pc's etc.

Stick an airport card in the G4 and it'll act as a base station - but only when its on; otherwise no internet access from the laptop (and it'll cost more than $35).

Pretty much any wireless enabled router that you can administer via http will do the job but go with a recommendation/review (there was a recent Labs test of a few at MacUser UK).

One last thing I'll add is that it's difficult to get an AirPort Express to extend your wireless network if you don't use a AirPort BS [nice]. It'll connect fine - but not extend the range. Then again I've seen workarounds with particular routers over at MacOSXHints.

Gabs

Awesome. Thanks for all the good tips. I'm a college student, and didn't really want to spend $200 on a base station if something else would work fine.

THANKS

Back