bash error when terminal opened

Jermay

Registered
Hello,

First of all I'm very new to unix so please forgive me newbness.

The problem is the following

I tried to install cakephp on my mac and when I had the export the $PATH variable ,something went wrong. When I start my terminal I get the following errors:

----
-bash: export: `:/Users/username/Library/cakephp/cake/console': not a valid identifier
-bash: export: `:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin': not a valid identifier
----

I did a quite a lot of googling and found lot threads about this path, but I don't now how to fix those since its not complaining about the $PATH variable.

echo $PATH gives

---
/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/Applications/XAMPP/xamppfiles/bin:/Applications/MAMP/bin/php5.3/bin
---

I tried to install cakephp on mamp, but apperantly atleast the $PATH variable and something else is wrong.

Both error messages look the same: instead of exporting the variable, you are exporting its content.

In Unix (and most other operating systems), environment variables are names programs use to refer some text. So when you specify the name DOG to stand for Spot, all the programs know that your dog is named Spot. Normal use for environment variables is storing directory or file names.

In bash shell the environment variables work almost the same as bash's own variables. You set an variable as

Code:
DOG=Spot
and refer to it by using $ sign, like

Code:
echo $DOG

These variables are internal to the bash, so when you end the shell, the variables disappear. You use export command to make bash variable an environment variable (actually I guess it creates a new enviroment variable with same name and content):

Code:
export DOG

How do you refer to the environment variable? Like shell's internal variables:

Code:
echo $DOG

(It is common to use all uppercase letters for environment variables and small or mixed cased letters for internal variables).

So finally what has happened:

Your .bashrc file contains line

Code:
export $PATH

instead of

Code:
export PATH

Bash evaluates content of the variable (/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin in your case) and gives it to the export command. Environment variable names can contain letters and numbers, not : sign.

Back