Basic Audio In Doesn't Work

twister

Howdy
I have a G5 iMac at work and I bought a basic GE Portable Headset at Target and my Mac works fine with the headphones but the mic isn't recognized.

It's a basic line in, not USB, and I believe that the port above headphone is for a mic right?

The package says it works with all brands of computers so why won't Mac OS 10.3.9 recognize it?

I did go into the sound preferences and change it to line in and it didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks

PS. Yes, I'll get a real USB headset after Christmas but I need to wait for now so I got a cheap one. :)

There's a difference between a microphone port and a line in port - Wikipedia:
Most sound cards have a line in connector where the sound signal from a cassette tape recorder or similar sound source can be input... Another typical external connector is the microphone connector, for connecting to a microphone or other input device that generates a relatively lower voltage than the line in connector.

i have the fancier mac. it also has a dead line in that requires a powered microphne. imac's do however have a built in microphone. can you use that?

The built in mic isn't the best when making Skype phone calls. It has background noise and people feel as if you are on speaker phone all the time.

Back